bulk DME help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joedub

Reaction score
Ok I was brewing all grain but I just don't have the time to spend on an all grain brew day. This means I am going back to extract and I am going to go bulk to cut cost.
What is the most versatile DME I can get? I like a wide variety of beers from imperial stouts to saisons.

Thanks for the help.

Hi Joe. I think its almost always best to use the lightest extract available, then add color and flavor with steeping grains. That way you have the most control.

Can you still get the color and taste of a stout using extra light?

Yup, you use roasted barley and chocolate malts, just as you would if you were doing all-grain brewing. The extract is just the 2-row that you would have used in an all-grain brew. Then you add whatever other grains you want to it.

I've used light DME for all but one of my extract recipes thus far...among them, I've brewed two stouts, a porter and a brown ale...as well as many pale ales and a couple ambers. As said above, I just use steeping grains to give the color and flavor of the style...the DME is essentially just for gravity points.

Latest posts

Back