Help with Wyeast Activator American Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fasteddietier

Reaction score
I bought a few of these in early December with some kits, and put them in my fridge for brewing later. I just went to check on them and found that they seem a bit swollen even though they have not been activated (at least not to that I am aware). They appeared fine post shipping when they were put in. Are these still good for brewing?

Most likely. To be safe, make a starter to be sure they are viable if you feel comfortable with the process (it's easy, there are several threads around here about it)

Otherwise, just use them as they are, they are probably fine. Are you still within the "use by" date?

Feel the envelope. You should be able to feel a small bag inside (kind of like the instant cold/heat packs)

If you feel the lump in there you're fine, if not...get to brewing.

some will swell on their own, sometimes the blister pack inside is accidentally broken in shipping as well. let the pack warm up to room temp and you can hear the yeasties working when you hold it up to your ear. inother words, swelling of the pack does not necessarily mean its no good anymore. always good to have some dry yeasts on hand anyway in case something doesnt work out with your liquids.

getting a starter going will confirm viability or not.

Could I open the package and check to see if the seal is broken and then just propagate it in a plastic container?

I wouldn't open it, as you need to popnthe "bubble" to start activation. As long as the bubble is still there you should be ok, but I'm a newb so may want to get some more backing!

I recently used a package of the same yeast, and mine was a little bit swollen as well. Once you actually try to pop the inner bag you'll see how difficult it actually is. From what i saw, it would be pretty hard for it to pop during shipping. When i did mine (around 70 degrees fahrenheit) the bag started swelling even more within 2 hours.

That yeast (I'm assuming it's the 1056 strain) is prone to arriving swollen at your door. Best bet is to make a small starter out of it. Don't worry about popping the "activator" if you do this. The pour the starter into your wort.

Back