Wine maker wishes to get into beer brewing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanK2

Reaction score
Hello guys. I have been an avid reader of these forums for years and just decided to sign up and be a part of the conversation today. I have been home brewing wine for quite some time but now I want to get into beer. I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of a nice start to finish web site to help get me started. Here is what I know about brewing beer, nothing. So I need some from scratch help here. What equipment do I need to buy, etc..

Help me get started guys.

Thanks!
:mug:

Hey RyanK, you're doing exactly what I decided to do... about a month ago! And that is go from winemaking to beer. First thing you absolutely must do is read John Palmer's book "How to Brew." There is a free, online copy that I read on the computer, my blackberry, wherever I had time. I really didn't do a thing until I had read it, at least through extract brewing (I"m not at partial mash or all grain yet).

http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

Once you've read that, you'll be ready to start at least and know what equipment you think you'll need. I was able to use most of what I had for beermaking that I used for wine. You should be able to use your primary fermentr, which is probably a bucket. Mine is 7.9 gallons and that works. I also have a 6 gallon carboy that works as a primary for beer, but it's a little big if you want to use it as a secondary. It should be fine though.

I got myself a bottling bucket, a 5 gallon brew kettle, and a capper.... and that was pretty much all that I needed to get started. I'm also going to get a 5 gallon carboy so I can use it as a secondary to free up the primary for more batches.

As for equipment, I highly recommend either Midwest Supply or Northern Brewer. You're pretty close to both of them so shipping should be quick. I'd recommend getting one of their beer kits too for your first brew, or a Brewer's Best kit.

Effington's got the key...get a copy of John Palmer's "How to Brew", and a copy of Papazian's "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing". From there, nothing can stop you! Oh, and BTW, welcome to HBT!

Yes, I'm about halfway through the Papazian book and it is also required reading... but the Palmer book is a must-read before your first batch if you're going it alone.

After reading this site for a couple weeks and watching many YouTube videos I made an Coppers Extract batch. I then read How To Brew. That gave me the info I needed and confidence to try my hand at an all-grain batch. BUY a copy of How To Brew. You will refer back to it often.

Good Luck

Palmer >>>>>>>>> Papazian imo

Buy Palmer's How to Brew. As a wine maker, you probably just need a kettle and a capper, but a bottling bucket is VERY nice to have.

Welcome to the addiction!

Latest posts

Back