Working out the bugs!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SugarJohnson

Reaction score
Need some advice- I finsihed my three teir gravity stand and gave it a test run. It has 3 Ind burners, 8.75g kettles with blinchman weldless thermos and QD's with silicone tube to move fluids. Like anything new I ran into several problems. First, the heat transfer form the burners melted the rubber coating on the BV's. No big deal I built some heat sheilds that should work. Second my thermos were awefully calibrated reading almost 30 degrees off. For the money these cost I was pissed. Calibrated them on the fly with a digital probe but one of them seems to almost stick. Third, my DIY Pizza pan FB was a miserable failure. The holes were two big, some grain got around it and clogged the SS braid attached to the pick up tube. I had to dump it all into my reliable cooler to finsih the brew. This is where I need the help. My weldless bulhead sits about 2 inches off the bottom and my pot is 15 1/4 diameter. I cant find a FB that size or one able to fit under the fitting. With it sitting a full two inches off the bottom I have to mash at 2.0q/lb easy just to get enough water contact with the grain. Thinking about the double bazoka with the elbow that would make up that two inches.

Sorry for the long post.

Back