Better bottle smells

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avaserfi

Reaction score
I bottled my first beer about a week ago. I soaked the better bottle with some oxyclean and water then scrubbed it clean. There was no residue left when I was done. I left town with the better bottle in the drying rack I got for it. Just got back today about 5-6 days later and the bottle actually still had some water in it. Also, I smelled it and the thing still smells slightly like beer. This was a pretty big surprise, I really didn't expect there to be any odor. It seems like I should deal with this, but how?

bleach and hot water soak until water cools... this is how i atleast make sure it is defiantly clean... then i brew another batch in it to cover up the smell... works like a charm, and i havent gotten bleed over taste yet providing its rinsed well

Cheers

I just made another batch of oxyclean and am going to try 30 minute soak to see how that goes. If bleed over isn't an issue I won't be worried, I doubt I will ever make a light flavored beer primarily IPAs and Stouts so that makes bleed over even less likely, I think. I will just rinse very weill with hot water when I am done!

i didnt know oxyclean was anti-bacterial... I use good strong hypoalergenic bleech (thats is to say with no colors, dies, or artfical sents or flavors... why flavors?)

Cheers

Back