Kettle wort to Primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
Hey all,

So ever since I started AG and full boils I have been pouring the entire kettle into my primary, then back to the kettle, then into the primary again for aeration (after it cools to 70, of course). Needless to say I get a lot of trub into the primary since im not racking. I never really thought about it till now, but is this a bad thing???

Hey all,

So ever since I started AG and full boils I have been pouring the entire kettle into my primary, then back to the kettle, then into the primary again for aeration (after it cools to 70, of course). Needless to say I get a lot of trub into the primary since im not racking. I never really thought about it till now, but is this a bad thing???

The only thing I can think of is that once you get below 140 or so, you're open to infection. All that sloshing around back and forth from the kettle increases the possibility of something getting in there. You could probably just shake up the carboy and get the same effect. Or, better yet, get yourself an oxygenation kit. Pure oxygen is much better than our atmospheric blend...

Hey all,

Just put it into your primary and shake the ever living crap out of it. Or use an auto siphon and let the wort drop into the primary from a foot or so.

Well I have an auto-siphon, and up until a month or so ago when I did extract and partial boils thats what I used. Im not really worried about infection, more about taste. I guess my main question is if wort trub can muff up a beer in the primary?

Well I have an auto-siphon, and up until a month or so ago when I did extract and partial boils thats what I used. I guess my main question is if wort trub can muff up a beer in the primary?

Not at all. Its just more chance though that you will transer some into the secondary, then into the bottles/keg leaving your beer not as clear as it could have been. The idea is to leave as much of that stuff behind everytime you transfer

Not at all. Its just more chance though that you will transer some into the secondary, then into the bottles/keg leaving your beer not as clear as it could have been. The idea is to leave as much of that stuff behind everytime you transfer

Mmm, yeah, I dunno about that. Depending on how long you leave the beer in primary vessel, the hop gunk/leaves can start to affect the flavor of the beer. I leave it behind by passing it through a false bottom and then through a funnel filter...I just don't want a bunch of hop gunk in my fermenter.

Awesome, I figured that would be the case. Im going to be leaving the few AG beers ive done in the secondary for a while though while im on vacation though, so maybe it will all settle out. Plus there is always gelatin!

Mmm, yeah, I dunno about that. Depending on how long you leave the beer in primary vessel, the hop gunk/leaves can start to affect the flavor of the beer. I leave it behind by passing it through a false bottom and then through a funnel filter...I just don't want a bunch of hop gunk in my fermenter.

Thats true, assuming you dont leave them in there too long.

Do you think leaving it all in the primary one week will be harmful? Just until ferm. stops??? Crap now im all worried

Do you think leaving it all in the primary one week will be harmful? Just until ferm. stops??? Crap now im all worried

That is more of a problem longer term then shorter. If you left it in there for 3 months it could have an off taste.

Back