Differences in Pilsen DME and Light DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyHighBrew88

Reaction score
Was at the LHBS today and picked up my ingredients for a Bells Oberon clone i'm brewing this weekend.

The recipe called for light DME, wheat DME, and 3 types of steeping grains. It appears that the guy who put the order together gave me Pilsen DME instead of light DME.....should I consider this a problem in my attempt to clone?

I know the only differences between extracts are amounts of steeping grains and color, I just want it to taste as much like Bells and be as accurate as possible...

you'll be fine. I used to use pilsen dme/lme for everything and darken/flavor with adjuncts.

Pilsner DME (or Extra-light DME) uses Pilsner malt as its base malt. Light DME uses pale malt as its base. Pilsner is lighter in color and tastes a little different - not a huge difference, though. Methinks it's more appropriate for the style of beer you are brewing than the light DME.

Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna just roll with it and see. This is my second brew and the first one I've done alone so I'm just tryin to learn everything I can.

I'm thinkin' that it'll be good either way. Part of the learning process I suppose.

-Matt-

good attitude :) I personally like lighter malt extracts. They all typically have the same amount of fermentables and steeping grains add color/flavor. The options are limitless...

Back