American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Add your 1st, 3lbs of DME with the FWH. No need to wait for a boil before adding it. IMO this is easier since the DME will not stick to everything that is wet from steam and why sit doing nothing while the water heats. Also borrow the whisk from the kitchen to help get the DME mixed in faster for both additions.

Thanks, appreciate it!

Not sure if it's true or a myth, but seems I've heard said that canning retains hoppiness longer than bottling.

When they first started making it he felt that way. He enjoys it best off the bottling line these days, as does everyone else.

Well, l chilled another one, 11 days after bottling, let it chill 3 days. Just tried it....it's drinkable, but not all that tasty. Going to leave the rest to condition a full 3 weeks and then try. Hopefully will get better.

Update....I went ahead and opened the 22 oz bomber I had chilled along with the 12 oz I talked about above. It is much, much better....also didn't have any of the yeast flakes that the 12oz one did. Have no idea why the difference.

I just brewed this last Friday went with the partial mash and used the 04 yeast. 5 hours in the fermenter and this was rocking and rolling and the smell in the basement was a citra hop heaven. Only thing is I over shot the gravity by a lot mine came out to 1.075 hope it will be ok. If not RDWHAHB

I've had mine in primary for 2 weeks. Dry hopped yesterday with 3 oz of Citra. Tasted a sample and, I could have bottled yesterday without dry hopping. It's that good! This is the best IPA I brew and one I will always have in my rotation!

I've had mine in primary for 2 weeks. Dry hopped yesterday with 3 oz of Citra. Tasted a sample and, I could have bottled yesterday without dry hopping. It's that good! This is the best IPA I brew and one I will always have in my rotation! :off:

Extract or AG?

I've never had the real thing, but recently brewed 2 ZD clone kits from Great Fermentations for an exBEERiment, except I used WY1318. As a west coast IPA drinker, this beer definitely has more malt character than I'm used to... but I like it [emoji482]

I've been brewing for over 15 years and I can tell you that conditioning beer is the single best thing you can do to improve beer. I don't even think of sampling a beer for at least 1 month and some of my best beers are 6 months to a year old, granted they are bigger beers. Also if possible cold crash for weeks and after storage cold condition again. I won numerous ribbons this year and none of the beers I submitted were less than 6 months old.

We may be nit picking here, but I think there may be conditioning differences between kegged and bottled beers. I too notice that the first beer I open, while it may be fully carbonated, is usually not as good as the next one a few days or a week later. Like ruascott, I too am usually anxious to try one, and usually open the first one after only 6-9 days in the bottle. Since I prime my IPAs to around 2.5 volumes, they're usually carbed after that time, but they do continue to improve in flavor over the next week or two.

Understand that kegged beers are force carbonated, while bottled beers undergo a second "mini" fermentation in the bottle. I'm not surprised that they continue to improve some, even after they are fully carbonated.

Well 3oz Citra added. And for some reason my pictures are coming out sideways ??

image.jpg

This will be my third brew and I want to make sure I have my steps down correctly - any input or guidance would be much appreciated.

1. Steep Specialty Grains @ 150-155 in 2G for 30 minutes
2. While Steeping, Heat 5G @ 165-170
3. Sparge Grain Bag with 5G to bring Boil Volume to 7G
4. Full Heat
5. Introduce 1.00 oz Citra (FWH)
6. Rolling Boil Reached, Turn Off Heat
7. Stir in 3.00 lbs Extra Light DME
8. Turn On Heat, Return to Rolling Boil
9. Stir in 3.00 lbs Extra Light DME @ 20 minutes
8. 1.00 oz Citra @ 15 minutes
9. 1.00 Whirfloc Tablet @ 15 minutes
10. 1.00 oz Citra @ 10 minutes
11. 1.00 oz Citra @ 5 minutes
12. 1.00 oz Citra @ 1 minutes
13. Cool Rapidly
14. Strain Into Carboy
15. Aerate
16. Introduce Safale-S04
17. 14 Day Fermentation
18. 1.50 oz Citra Dry Hop for 3 days
19. 1.50 oz Citra Dry Hop for 3 days

Just a quick question, and to ensure I'm reading this correctly. The above steps is for 7 Gallons (7G)? My apologies in advance, first post, not entirely new to brewing, but new to this style of brewing. I'm looking to make 5 Gallons with the ingredients from the first page of this post and to leverage the steps above.

Thanks!

-Jay

Just a quick question, and to ensure I'm reading this correctly. The above steps is for 7 Gallons (7G)? My apologies in advance, first post, not entirely new to brewing, but new to this style of brewing. I'm looking to make 5 Gallons with the ingredients from the first page of this post and to leverage the steps above.

Thanks!

-Jay

If you want a recipe for 5 gallons then ignore the post that you quoted. What you quoted is an extract recipe. Therefore doing a 7 gallon boil is unnecessary.

Do the all grain version exactly as the recipe states. I do this and make a 5.5 gallon batch (5.5gallons going into the ferementer). I use .5 to account for trub loss so I put 5 gallons into the keg.

In other words; I will do a full volume boil and account for 1 gallon of boil loss. So my boil is roughly around 7 gallons to account for hop absorption as well. At this point I already accounted for grain absorption.

I hope this clarifies things for you.

I've never had the real thing, but recently brewed 2 ZD clone kits from Great Fermentations for an exBEERiment, except I used WY1318. As a west coast IPA drinker, this beer definitely has more malt character than I'm used to... but I like it [emoji482]

I must say that I use this base for almost all of my IPAs. I cannot get away from having the malt flavor along with all the hops.

So far I've done this base (or very close to) on 10 or so batches. I love it :tank:

If you want a recipe for 5 gallons then ignore the post that you quoted....

...I hope this clarifies things for you.

It helps and thank you. However I actually picked up everything today needed to do the extract. One day, and soon I think I'll get around to "all-grain".

I must say that I use this base for almost all of my IPAs. I cannot get away from having the malt flavor along with all the hops.

So far I've done this base (or very close to) on 10 or so batches. I love it :tank:

Same here, amazing grain bill. The next batch I am adding some oats and wheat to get some more body

It helps and thank you. However I actually picked up everything today needed to do the extract. One day, and soon I think I'll get around to "all-grain".

In that case I would just do extract as normal. 3 gallon boil and top off at the end. No need for a full volume boil unless you want to boil the entire volume. IBU's will be the difference between a small and large volume boil with extract.

In that case I would just do extract as normal. 3 gallon boil and top off at the end. No need for a full volume boil unless you want to boil the entire volume. IBU's will be the difference between a small and large volume boil with extract.

Perfect, thank you so much! Merry Christmas/Holiday!!!

Legged this today only ended up with 4 gallons due to all he turb but smelled awesome next time I will use the same grain bill and do a 6 gallon batch. Should be closer to the numbers that way and also get a full 5 gal batch.

My extract version has turned out pretty tasty.....maybe a little sweet for my personal preference. But all in all not too bad. Going to try a BIAB method next time. I did a PM with only 3G boil, then toppped off, this time., looking for a full boil next.

I haven't had the real deal for probably 9 months, so hard for me to remember.

I've got my batch dry hopping now. I used .5 oz of bravo for a 60 min addition. Used 4 oz on the dry hop. I used the 15 min addition and and the 5. Everything else on a hop stand at 170. Used white labs ale II.

Kegged my zombie dust clone a week ago today just drew the first glass tonight and all I can say is this is a dam fine drinking ipa. I have never had the real thing but out of the 20 or so ipa's I have made this is the best. Still cloudy but another week or 2 and it will clear up. this will go into my rotation and probably be my house brew. Thank you for sharing this

image.jpg

Hey Guys, I wish I had time to go through this entire thread, but alas, too much work to do. Is the recipe in post #1 current or has everyone decided on certain modifications that aren't reflected there?

Also, I have decided to do away with the 15, 10, 5, and 1 minute hop additions and do a hopstand/whirpool instead. Can someone who has experience with hopstands and this recipe tell me what quantities/temperatures/durations you've used? Do you recommend keeping any of those additions that I am declining to do?

As always, thanks for the insight.

I was happy with my 30 min hop stand. Very flavorful. I just bottled today. I did the 15 and 5 addition. Everything else was hop stand. 170.

I'm thinking of using this grain bill and doing a different single hop. Thinking maybe Columbus? I'm a huge Citra lover and have kind of been over-doing it. Anyone done this grain bill with another single hop?

Also plan to cut down a lot of the additions and move them to a hopstand. I just did this (30m hopstand) on a Permanent Funeral clone, and while the final product isn't ready, what I've tasted/smelled so far seems incredible.

I'm thinking of using this grain bill and doing a different single hop. Thinking maybe Columbus? I'm a huge Citra lover and have kind of been over-doing it. Anyone done this grain bill with another single hop?

Also plan to cut down a lot of the additions and move them to a hopstand. I just did this (30m hopstand) on a Permanent Funeral clone, and while the final product isn't ready, what I've tasted/smelled so far seems incredible.

I've done pretty much the same grain bill, but with a combo of Citra, Galaxy, and Columbus. It turned out great. If you're trying to do a single hop, my vote would be Galaxy.

I use this grain bill all the time but I haven't done a single hop. There's always 2 or 3 and Nugget is always used for bittering.

It's a solid grain bill but I am getting tired of it. The backbone is always the same regardless of hops. I highly recommend trying it with variations.

I've done this is Falconers Flight with good results.

Looking to make an extract version of this but can only get Briess Pilsen Light. Would there be any noticeable difference between that and the extra light?

I'm guessing the colour would be a bit darker, and maybe a bit roastier.. not sure so I thought I'd ask.

Looking to make an extract version of this but can only get Briess Pilsen Light. Would there be any noticeable difference between that and the extra light?

I'm guessing the colour would be a bit darker, and maybe a bit roastier.. not sure so I thought I'd ask.

That's what I used, and what my LHBS uses for this clone kit.

Back