picking out off flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtockst

Reaction score
So I just tasted my first AG that's been bottle conditioning for about 8-9 days so far. I let it sit in the primary for two weeks before bottling. On the pour, I didn't even get a head... I guess it hasn't conditioned long enough or it just won't because I think I caramelized the priming sugar :mad: It doesn't really have much of a hop aroma, mostly a very malty/biscuity smell. But this smell seems slightly strange, and I can't remember ever tasting a beer that has this same aroma. The taste.... sucks. It is incredibly hard to pick out any actual flavors from it, basically because it tastes so strange. I know there are tell-tale signs of infection (green apples) and oxidation (cardboard), but I can't really pick out either of these.

I was wondering if someone could point out a resource or any way I can go about figuring out what's wrong with this beer, since I can't pick out any certain flavors. Maybe my palette just sucks.

Could this just be green beer? I can't imagine this tasting like an actual beer a few weeks from now. By the way, here's my recipe so maybe someone can tell if it may be due to what I used.

7lbs 2row
2lbs 80L crystal
0.5lb victory
0.5lb special b
WLP 005

OG 1.041
FG 1.010

- yea... really bad efficiency

Any help would be great!!

Why do you think you caramelized the priming sugar? I mean think? It should have been obvious one way or the other. Still, unless it was carbonized it will only add a little flavor to a 5 gallon batch and should not ruin it.

As far as off flavors, honestly, you are asking too soon. Back when I used to routinely try my beers before three or four weeks had passed I usually hated the taste. There was usually some off flavor that predominated and then it would worry me for one or two more weeks until the beer was actually done conditioning and the beer would taste delicious.

Some of the worst tasting beer I have ever tasted was under conditioned beer that had only been in bottle for 2 weeks. This same beer has often gone on to be the best beer ever one scant week later.

RDWHA(Different)HB

Some of the worst tasting beer I have ever tasted was under conditioned beer that had only been in bottle for 2 weeks. This same beer has often gone on to be the best beer ever one scant week later.

RDWHA(Different)HB

Thanks. That's great news. I know that beer will taste different after it has had time to condition, but I didn't know if it's characteristics could really change that drastically.

I'm pretty sure I caramelized the sugar because when I boiled the priming solution, it turned yellow. I mixed a pint of water with about 4 oz. corn sugar. I think it turned yellow with about 5 minutes of boiling. But, There is a bit of carbonation in them, so I assume they may eventually carbonate enough.

Latest posts

Back