The old Point Bock - Stevens Point Brewery?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackJaqueJanaviac

Reaction score
Does anyone have a clone of the old Stevens Point Brewery's - Point Bock?

I just remember enjoying that in college as one of the dark beers that could be afforded on a student budget. You could buy it by the case of returnable bottles for much cheaper than all the other 6-pack beers.

It was very creamy and dark. Excellent beer really. But now all Point offeres is this Einbock which I don't believe is the same thing.

I would call the brewery and talk to them. They may not give you an exact recipe (some will) but they may be willing to help you create a clone.

Well I've tried a number of faux bocks in an attempt at getting close to the old Point Bock but I'm dissappointed.

Does anyone remember the original Bock from Stevens Point brewery?

It was malty, dark, and very creamy smooth without too much toasty flavor.

I seem to remember someone saying they used corn in their recipe. Is that true?

The old Point Bock was the best thing to happen to spring back in the day. I remember buying it by the old cardboard case, it was my favorite go-to beer prior to the craft revolution.

They quit making it, and honestly I've not had the heart to try the new bock. I'm usually a fan of most things from Point, but I've been leaning more to Oso than Point as of late.

Sure wish they'd bring back the old Bock though.

sumbrewindude,
Do you recall anything about what went into the old Bock? Other than the rumors that they scraped the bottom of the vat, the only thing I remember hearing was the corn ingredient.

sumbrewindude,
Do you recall anything about what went into the old Bock? Other than the rumors that they scraped the bottom of the vat, the only thing I remember hearing was the corn ingredient.

I remember that rumor. :mug:

Nah, by this point my tastebuds have been blasted out from years of craft beer, I couldn't recall the old beer if I tried.

I would agree with corn, also dark munich (35L), and maybe some chocolate? Definitely an noble, spice hop. No clue on yeast, a lager of some kind - something clean.

If you ever figure it out, let me know!:tank:

I grew up in that town and remember that beer along with all the rumors.

I think it was just some dark caramel/crystal added to their original Point Special.

I use to buy it for $5 per case and go down to Iverson park to party.

Back