Lager starter from washed yeast and wort noob questions..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hans_shu_east_gluff

Reaction score
OK. So I washed my first batch of yeast from a Saflager 34/70. I also put aside some wort from previous brews so I could attempt a starter (sanitized and stored in the fridge). I am having a tough time finding info specific to what I am doing. Either people are making a starter from a packet or liquid vial or using DME to do a starter in. I am making a 5.5 gal pilsner and would like to use this washed yeast but don't know the volume needed for a starter. So far I boiled 500ml of the wort, cooled it, then took my small mason jar of washed yeast (1/4" of yeast in bottom approx.) Don't know if that's enough for a lager starter. I have another litre of wort and another mason jar with 1/4" of yeast. Will that get the yeast started? Can I do this again to bring the cell count up? I'm curious if I can take a small amount of yeast and feed it and multiply it a couple times without adverse effects. Any help is appreciated. This is my first time trying this.

Sounds like a good approach. As far as the amount of yeast, it's hard to tell without knowing how much you washed from your original batch. If you washed all the yeast, a small starter should be enough for another batch of beer

Thanks. I had the starter sit overnight. Doesn't seem to be too much activity. One thing I did read in my research was to not freak out with low activity. Either way thanks for the input.

Back