Beer bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gatoreye

Reaction score
I ran out of bottles. I was six or so bottles shy so I grabbed some budlights and emptied a few, cleaned em up and used budlight bottles to finish my batch of beer.

How soon should I re-empty those bottles? or will they seal?

Not sure what you mean by re-empty. Does re-empty = drink?

Budlights are twist off which is not recommended, but they work for some people. If you use them you should use a bench capper and not a wing capper. By using them you run the risk of not getting a good seal which means your beer won't carbonate properly and could become contaminated.

It seems that screw tops are pretty random. Some get'em to seal just fine. Others get some leakers,& some sealers. So it seems hit-n-miss. I had enough for 60-70 bottles for a 23L batch I was doing. After reading more cons than pros,I pitched them,& used bottles from Paulaner doppel bock,Michelob amber bock,& some used craft brew bottles from the LHBS. I capped my last batch of those bottles a week ago last Sunday,& the boxes are still bone dry.

yup re-empty = drink.:mug:

I should of counted my bottles before I started, I used what I had.

I used a wing capper so I might loose a few. Live and learn:mug:

Over the years I've had several of the screw tops make way into my collection, and I've never had a problem with them, and I used a wing capper. Hell, there was even once I was short bottles I grabbed some 20oz plastic pepsi bottles from the recycle bin and used those. It worked fine.

Odds are, you won't have an issue, so relax and have a homebrew....or 6:rockin:

I ran out of bottles. I was six or so bottles shy so I grabbed some budlights and emptied a few, cleaned em up and used budlight bottles to finish my batch of beer.

How soon should I re-empty those bottles? or will they seal?

I wouldn't even have bothered cleaning them. The Bud wasn't infected so no reason to think your beer would have been if you poured the Bud out and your beer in. Did you cap them? If you used a bench capper they will probably seal okay. You could turn them upside down after caping to see if any were leaking and if so try recapping the leakers.

I have no idea what you mean by re-empty them. You either use them or not, but once they are capped and not leaking you just ride them out until conditioning is complete.

Well one week or so later, twisted the cap off and had a nice hiss. pour...good head. Good beer

I don't know if I'll make a habbit of using twist off bottles but they work in a pinch.

Back