MFL swivel nut

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cabot

Reaction score
I have a sankey coupler that I converted so I can swap homebrew/commercial on my bar. My problem lies with the actual swivel nuts. I can never seem to get a good seal with them. I used them once before on a keg I brought to a party. The liquid and the gas both leaked around the nut..am I doing something wrong? I am hand tightening them, it seems crazy to use a wrench on them. Anyone else have experience with them??

When I used to buy commercial kegs I used a wrench on those nuts until I bought some "wing nuts" to replace them so that i could get them to seal by hand.

slykwilli, are you talking about the swivel nuts on the hose? Or the beer nut that actually goes onto the coupler/tap?

On the actual connector you are tightening the nut on, is the center part that you are tightening against plastic? If not, you will need a plastic washer to get a good seal.

Oh, and you need to use a wrench. I don't think hand tightening will do. The above mentioned wing nuts might do it too, I haven't used them.

It is plastic on one system of mine, and metal on the other. I suppose getting little plastic washers would benefit both of them, great idea, I feel silly for not thinking of it. Any idea on the size of those? I am at work right now and will stop by the hardware store on my way home to get some, but don't have one with me to look at right now. *shakes fist of fury*

Ok so it seems, from my preliminary searching online, that these little white washers that I need for my MFLs are harder to find than I thought they would be. Can anyone tell me exactly what they are, as it may make this searching a bit more productive. I found a hardware store nearby with lots of washers, but I don't know which one I'm looking for. Also, white = neoprene? What is wrong with using rubber? Thanks!

Swivel nut gasket. Somebody must sell them but I doubt you will find them in a hardware store. A well stocked LHBS might have them.

@ Steinbarts in Portland KA-06494 - WHITE SWIVEL NUT GASKET, 1/4"

Is there anything I can use as a substitute that is more readily available? I wasn't aware that I was going to be needing these, and am having a party at my place tonight, and I'd like to serve a commercial keg. Can I use replacement poppet o-rings from my cornys? I just need something to get by until next week when I can get a proper gasket. What is special about the swivel nut gasket, I don't see an image on that link :( Maybe I can find something similar enough to work for now.

You might be able to fit a small o-ring inside and make it work. Take it with you to the hardware store, plumbing supply would be better and try to fit something. You also might be able to cut out a small piece of rubber and fashion a temporary gasket - poke a hole in it.

Gila, I haven't tried wrench tightening it. It may be enough, but I don't want to wake up in the morning with a fridge dripping wet with beer ;) I will be doing that along with whatever else I come up with though (wrench tightening)

samc, I appreciate the suggestions. I think that is the route I'm going to have to take. Also, as I obviously have never used a gasket in them before...the barb goes into the nut, then the gasket would go behind it? So the gasket makes contact with the mfl, no the barb correct?

It's still early enough to also try locating a local beverage service that offers parts for cornelius post mix systems. maybe even try a local Coke or Pepsi distributor and plead with them. Might get a few for free to hold you over.

Gila, thanks again. I live in a small town, no beverage service places. What I did was put some teflon tape on the MFL, and then tightened the swivel nut down with a wrench...it worked great, and 2 days later I still can't detect any leaks. I think a proper gasket is a better permenant idea, but the tape is working for now.

Back