High Alc Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhaas66

Reaction score
Just finished a kit and waited patiently... This beer is from a well known supplier, no it does not have Watermelon flavoring in it.. lol.

But it does have some really strong alchohol taste. That is not a bad thing but it is not balanced with the rest of the beer...

The question is will this mellow out with time...?

Thanks...

How long is "waited patiently"?

You'll probably get better answers if you post your recipe and process.

One thought is that it might be fusel alcohols from too high a fermentation temp.

If it's a high-gravity beer, it might just be too much alcohol from over-attenuation and/or bad kit design.

I brewed a high gravity Warmer last year. I tasted it about 5 weeks after brewing and was totally bummed due to the high alcohol, yuck taste. I then let it bottle condition until Christam (almost 3 months later), and it turned out quite nicely. I actually found a bottle of it last month when cleaning (about 9 months old now), and it was awesome. I'd say give it some time, but I'm still pretty new to brewing. Good luck!

As BNB says above, it is hard to help without more details on your recipe and process.

However, strong alcohol flavours tend to recede (although not necessarily disappear) through time. I have found that extending your time in the secondary really helps (especially for really dark or high gravity beers). I have left stouts and porters in the secondary for months to age and improve.

You can also leave them in the bottle at cellar temps for a while. This helps, but not as quickly because there is less yeast available.

Fusel alcohols can convert to esters during secondary fermentation or conditioning. It depends on how many you have and how long you are willing to wait.

Latest posts

Back