Rahr & Son's Brewery Tour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SD-SLIM

Reaction score
Hello All, for those of you who live in the Dallas/Fort Worth Area...you have to go to Rahr & Son's Brewery Tour, It's on Saturday's and starts and goes from 1-3. I took the whole family last week and had a great time, although we didn't know it was best to bring your own chair!
But for $7 you get a glass and three beers....great beer, great music and great food...which means I will be back this Saturday!

i just came back from dallas last week with six bottles of their absolutely delicious ugly pug black lager in my luggage (wrapped up in my shirts and pants). i'm happy to say they made the trip home! unfortunately, despite my initial attempts at conservation i'm already down to one :(

i wouldn't hesitate for an instant if given the chance to see the brewery. the next time i go to DFW i need to make sure it's over a weekend.

i am a bit surprised that there aren't more brewpubs in the area, though--especially in the downtown area. is this due to restrictive laws?

Im not sure...but I did read that 4 brew pubs are attempting to get permits, I wish them all the best!

I went to Mac and Jack's brewery in Redmond, WA and they gave a free glass and 5 samples as part of the free tour.

Then I went to Red Hook brewery in Woodinville, WA and took their free tour where they gave each of us a small glass and a sample of each of their brews plus an extra sample of any one of the 5 and I got to keep the glass. My wife accompanied me an although she doesn't drink, at the end of the tour they gave her a free glass too.

You Texas boys need to give those breweries a talkin to.

I went to Mac and Jack's brewery in Redmond, WA and they gave a free glass and 5 samples as part of the free tour.

Then I went to Red Hook brewery in Woodinville, WA and took their free tour where they gave each of us a small glass and a sample of each of their brews plus an extra sample of any one of the 5 and I got to keep the glass. My wife accompanied me an although she doesn't drink, at the end of the tour they gave her a free glass too.

You Texas boys need to give those breweries a talkin to.

Mac and Jack's is my favorite beer...did you get any tips as to how they brew it? As for Texas...common down, a free glass and samples wont compare to our weather and women!

Mac and Jack's is my favorite beer...did you get any tips as to how they brew it? As for Texas...common down, a free glass and samples wont compare to our weather and women!

Mac and Jack's brew beer the same way that home brewers do except they use bigger equipment. They put grains into water the right temperature to mash, filter it out into another container and add yeast and let it ferment. Did you think they had some other way to make it?

Their equipment is a little more high tech than mine with steam for heating and glycol to cool. One thing they do that seems interesting is when they keg, they fasten a bag of hops inside the keg for more hop aroma.

I've been to Texas. We've got some pretty nice women up here that could give your women a good run in a contest, well if you could see them without 10 layers of clothes on to keep them warm. I've also seen your weather, lightning that just wouldn't quit, tornado, 100+ degrees in the shade, if you could find any shade that is.:eek:

i just came back from dallas last week with six bottles of their absolutely delicious ugly pug black lager in my luggage (wrapped up in my shirts and pants). i'm happy to say they made the trip home! unfortunately, despite my initial attempts at conservation i'm already down to one :(

i wouldn't hesitate for an instant if given the chance to see the brewery. the next time i go to DFW i need to make sure it's over a weekend.

i am a bit surprised that there aren't more brewpubs in the area, though--especially in the downtown area. is this due to restrictive laws?

Up until about nine months ago there was one in Fort Worth. There is two Gordon Biersch restaurants on the Dallas side. We also have an assorted number of BJ's and a handful of brewpubs called Humperdinks. Despite having several great beer bars (Gingerman, Flying Saucer, Old Monk, etc.) DFW does not have a great beer culture.

All of the good beer spots are outside of traditional "downtown" entertainment areas except for the Flying Saucer in downtown Fort Worth, although I guess uptown Dallas counts and there are a few good bars there.

Back