Extract fermentation stopped at 1.032; ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulipion2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,
I just checked my gravity on a brew I made in early February (about 7-8 weeks ago) and its gravity stalled at about 1.032. The beer was an extract brew using Breiss Porter and Amber extract pouches that were possibly a little past their prime (got them last July), 3 lb light DME, 1 oz Columbus hop pellets, as well as 2 oz. fresh ginger, and SafBrew T-58 Belgian Ale yeast.

The beer has been in the 68-72 degree range, but it only showed real signs of fermentation for the first week or so. I repitched the same yeast earlier this week, but still no signs of fermentation picking back up. The hydro sample tasted strongly of molasses and ginger, but could easily be carbonated and consumed, though in smaller quantities.

This being a Belgian strain, should I find a way to boost the temperature to the mid- to high-70's, should I repitch a different yeast strain (either US-05 or maybe a Champagne yeast), or, being older extract, is this beer pretty much at its lowest possible FG? Would adding some table sugar to dry it out?

Thanks in advance, and let me know if there's anything that needs clarification.

You can try raising the temp and swirling up some yeast from the bottom.

I haven't tried this with extract yet, but I used a teaspoon of amylase enzyme sprinkled over the top of one of my stuck beers and it brought the gravity down 15-20 points.

What was the original gravity and your apparent attenuation thus far?

archiefl98, my OG was 1.072, and assuming I used the AA calculator correctly, my attenuation is 54%.

ArcaneXor, thanks for the article. I'll peruse it after work!

Back