Modify Palmer's Pilsener Lager to make a Kolsch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callmebruce

Reaction score
I'd like to try my hand at a Kolsch, and was thinking about modifying John Palmer's "Plzenske Pivo - Pilsner Lager" into a Kolsch. Main reason is that I will be fermenting and storing in room off the garage (with HVAC, but still gets too warm for Pilsener).

So - if I use John Palmer's recipe for Pilsener, would I just need to swap out The Bohemian Lager yeast for a Kolsch yeast, then I'm good to go?

Recipe calls for:
3.3 lbs Briess Pilsen Light (LME) in boil
3.3 lbs Briess Pilsen Light (LME) at knockout

1 oz Perle for at 60 minutes
.75 oz Saaz at 30 minutes
.75 oz Saaz at 15 minutes

For Pilsener, I would need to ferment for 2 weeks at 50 degrees. Changing it to a Kolsch yeast, I was planning on aiming at fermenting at 62-65 degrees for 2 weeks.

I'm not sure I could lager the Kolsch at 40 degrees for several weeks in my garage. Am I safe at right around 60 degrees, or would that make it too funky? Would I need to figure out a way to get it down to 40 degrees and keep it there?

I think you can just do a simple yeast swap. It won't be as clean and clear as a true pils, but no big whoops. It shouldn't be funky even without 40 degrees.

Back