Help: Sam Adams Imperial White (10.3% ABV)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germelli1

Reaction score
I must say that this is one of my favorite beers I have ever had from america. It is strange because it is brewed with various citrus and spices which I always think gets overdone in beers. I don't know how it finishes so amazingly with a 10.3% abv.

Even if you don't share my tastes in the beer, can anyone who has drank it help me try to put together a clone? I am not expecting a perfect clone (even if I had the exact recipe I doubt I would be able to clone it well) but I want some help getting started on this.

This has been asked a good bit and I have yet to find an answer

[Edit 7/24]
Ok off of Sam Adams' website I have this much info:
Original Gravity: 23.0° Plato (1.096)

Alcohol by Vol/Wt: 10.3%ABV – 8.0%ABW

Calories/12 oz.: 321

Malt Variety: Two-row Harrington, Metcalfe, and Copeland pale malts and Malted Wheat

Hop Variety: Hallertau Mittelfrueh Noble Hops

Yeast Strain: Samuel Adams ale yeast

Typical spices include coriander and orange peel giving the beer a citrusy flavor that complements the wheat.

Time to experiment when I get a frementor freed up!

Good luck with it and let me know how it comes out. It is one of my favorite beers of all time and they do a phenomenal job of hiding the high alcohol. One word of caution, don't plan on drinking it anytime soon. A fellow HB'er brewed an Imperial White and it took about 8 months till it was drinkable, and another 4 till it was great.

On a side note, I have 4 bottles of the Stout and 4 bottles of of the White that I am going to keep for about a year and pop. Ill let you know what kinda of new flavor profiles emerge after it ages.

Good luck with it and let me know how it comes out. It is one of my favorite beers of all time and they do a phenomenal job of hiding the high alcohol. One word of caution, don't plan on drinking it anytime soon. A fellow HB'er brewed an Imperial White and it took about 8 months till it was drinkable, and another 4 till it was great.

On a side note, I have 4 bottles of the Stout and 4 bottles of of the White that I am going to keep for about a year and pop. Ill let you know what kinda of new flavor profiles emerge after it ages.

Sounds like a good plan. I had one the day I bought it a few months ago and it was awesome. I had one two nights ago and I decided to pour it like a hefeweisen (mix up all the sediment in the bottle) and it was even better (due to age, not sediment).

SurlyBastard, next time you drink one take a note at how much spice/orange peel/yeast sediment is actually in the bottle. I am thinking of harvesting yeast from the bottle but I am not sure yet.

PS: I can't afford a carboy at this point so it will be a few months before I can brew this up anyway

Latest posts

Back