Dish washer sanitizing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
I used the DW for the first time sanitizing. Since I did not have enough space for all the bottles to stand upside down I laid a good number on their sides.

The filled with water any problems with this? They all still had the right temp so the water was hot.

comments?

Yeah, it'll probably be alright... as long as the water didn't sit in them too long (and cool down). I'd risk it if I were you... and I'm pretty anal about sanitizing, having been a health inspector and all.;)

the way I feel is that if all the bugs were killed even if it sat there - where would now ones come from ???

Don't know if it will work for you, but with our dishwasher, if I uses 12 or so bombers and the rest 12 ounce size bottles, they all fit in the bottom rack.

But I have used the top rack, where they don't drain, and not had any problems.

the way I feel is that if all the bugs were killed even if it sat there - where would now ones come from ???

Don't get me wrong... like I said you'll probably be fine. Sanitizing doesn't kill everything (as opposed to sterilizing). It just kills most everything. So, theoretically, the few remaining microbes would have plenty of water and if there was some kind of tiny amount of food for them to munch on, they could multiply if given enough time.

But I don't mean to over-analyze it... just explaining the theory. You sould be fine.

Any one drink newcastle? Those short bottles will fit just right on the top shelf, I can usually get about 12 or so to fit up there, and about 40 bottle on the bottom.

Maybe there is a setting for Sanitize and only wash the bottom rack (with the upside down bottles).

I'll have to look. The water heavy bottles were all on the top rack.

Any one drink newcastle? Those short bottles will fit just right on the top shelf, I can usually get about 12 or so to fit up there, and about 40 bottle on the bottom.

I like a Newcastle from time to time, but I don't use the bottles. I know that with properly stored beer, the risk of UV skunking is slim, but it's a chance I don't see any reason to take.

If you want short (brown) bottles, drink up some Red Stripe. Doesn't get much shorter than that. Hooray beer!

Sierra Nevada bottles are also shorter and fit well in the top rack of most machines. As well as the Guiness Extra Stout ones.

Back