reverse osmosis water... or not

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobsers

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what the best brew water would be. i am on a private well with lots of minerals and iron. We have reverse osmosis tap water, but somewhere I read that the ro water is not the best for brewing. I was considering installing a 2 piece filter with sediment cartridge then into activated charcoal, filtering water at a slow rate one batch at a time. any suggestions?

RO is fine for an extract kit, for all grain you will need to build the water back up. My tap water is hard to the point of undrinkable, I use RO to drink and bought RO water to brew building it back up based on what I'm brewing. Look at the Brew Science forum for more than you wanted to know about water.https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/

Our tap water is very hard and I use RO supplied by Culligan in refillable plastic jugs that I fill at the local grocery. I don't want to contradict what Keithww stated in his response but I have had great success using RO water for doing all grain brewing. You might try brewing 2.5 gallons with RO water and 2.5 gallons with RO water including any salt additions/mineral you might add from doing research. See which you like better.

Back