Add Yeast or Just Priming Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjohnson29

Reaction score
Forgive me, I don't bottle very regularly, but decided to do a number of small high gravity experimental batches I plan on ageing for a bit. How would I know if I need to reintroduce yeast at bottling time or just bottle with priming sugar? Detail on beers below:

American Strong: 1075-1012 (~8.3%), 2 weeks in primary, 2 weeks in secondary, bottle and age

Wheatwine: 1081-1013 (~9%), 3 weeks primary, 1 month secondary, bottleand and age

Barleywine: 1095-1023 (~9.5%), 4 weeks primary, 2 months secondary, bottle and age

Thanks in advance.

Chances are that you would not need to add yeast, especially if you pitch a proper amount to start with, and the yeast you are using is alcohol tolerant enough that it's not at its limits. Be prepared that it will take a long time (possibly a month or two) for carbonation. But if you're aging, that's probably fine.

That said, adding a little yeast probably wont hurt, as the yeast will only eat what it has (which is the priming sugar), and will help put your mind at ease about carbonation actually happening. The only thing to be really (and I mean really, really, really) careful about here is sanitation. True, you are adding yeast into a very toxic environment (8-9.5% alcohol will kill most things that may infect your beer) but it is not getting boiled and the fermenter is not clean (after two months, do not imagine that the inside of your fermenter is sanitized.) So you got to be very careful about how you handle the yeast prior to and during the second pitch. This is especially true if you are top-cropping the yeast during primary in order to re-use it in bottling. Not saying it can't be done, and done well, just be careful. Shame to age a beer for a year just to discover it's infected.

One thought: If you have a glass pipette, you can sterilize that (and I mean sterilize, not sanitize, look online how) and put about .5ml yeast slurry directly into the bottles. Benefit is that if infection happens it is usually limited to one bottle. But you have to work super-clean.

Back