First time using Star San

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratstud00

Reaction score
So I'm using star San for the first time, and I mixed as instructed (1 oz to 5 gals water), and then poured the solution from my primary into a bottling bucket so that I could fill my primary, and there was some bubbles left behind in the primary. Almost like I had used dish soap. Is this residue harmful to the beer or am I being paranoid about nothing?

I will mention I use filtered water or at least a campden tablet to remove chlorine. When you sanitize your bottles the little bit of residual chlorine can cause off flavors. However the foam is not an issue!

Same here, don't fear the foam!! Also keep in mind it can be stored and reused again later. Sorry if this is common knowledge but I didn't know that my first time.

For example I purchased a couple of 5 gallon buckets with lids from Home Depot for Sanstar sanitizer. When I'm done sanitizing for the brew day I place the lids on the buckets and store them with the fermenter for bottling or kegging day. As long as there is still foam from it and it's not too old it's good to use again. I probably wouldn't push more than 40 days +/-.

I store mine in glass bottles. Thought I read that it can dissolve plastics over time... But who knows.
I also have a spray bottle loaded that I use all the time.

OP, I was the same way the first time I used Star San. I couldn't believe that much suds could be anything but harmful.

I have since learned what you have read a half-dozen times here already: DON'T FEAR THE FOAM!

:)

If it makes you feel better, the foam is scary, but it's volume is almost all air, very little of it is actually StarSan solution. Of the small amount of StarSan solution only a tiny bit is StarSan, it is almost all water.

So of all that foam, you are looking at only a fraction of a fraction of StarSan, it is almost all air and water.

Plus StarSan has stuff in it that yeast like and is good for them.

Use it with great confidence.

I had a question about using star San to sanitize bottles. I submerge my bottles in a bucket of star San but when I dump out the water half of the bottle is filled with the bubbles. Could this cause any off flavor at all? I found if I pour very slowly it reduces the foam but it tacks on like an extra half hour

I had a question about using star San to sanitize bottles. I submerge my bottles in a bucket of star San but when I dump out the water half of the bottle is filled with the bubbles. Could this cause any off flavor at all? I found if I pour very slowly it reduces the foam but it tacks on like an extra half hour

Like said stated earlier don't fear the foam.

Same here, don't fear the foam!! Also keep in mind it can be stored and reused again later. Sorry if this is common knowledge but I didn't know that my first time.

For example I purchased a couple of 5 gallon buckets with lids from Home Depot for Sanstar sanitizer. When I'm done sanitizing for the brew day I place the lids on the buckets and store them with the fermenter for bottling or kegging day. As long as there is still foam from it and it's not too old it's good to use again. I probably wouldn't push more than 40 days +/-.

+1^

I've used Starsan that had been mixed several months before. It's all fine. I actually rack the Starsan carefully to another bucket when the previous one has a lot of dust and residue on the bottom (it looks grayish), leaving that last murky pint (or quart) behind. As long as the pH remains 3 or under it works as intended, so don't put alkaline-soaked things in there, without first rinsing off (e.g., PBW, Oxiclean, washing soda).

One thing, placing a lid on the bucket is good to keep dust and stuff out and prevents evaporation, but after a few weeks you may get some (black) mold growing on the inside of the lid and areas that are not submerged in Starsan. It comes from condensation forming on those surfaces. So, wet/wash those surfaces every week or 2 with the Starsan to prevent mold from forming.

Fill a spray bottle with your Starsan solution, good for spot sanitation and under rims of bucket lids, etc.

Now preparing 2.5 gallons instead of 5 may be more efficient, making a fresh solution more often.

Use a vinator http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/brewing-equipment/bottling/vinator-bottle-rinser to shoot StarSan into the bottles and then let them drain for a few minutes on a bottle tree. I do this to my bottles as I am racking to my bottling bucket, and by the time the beer is finished racking I can have all my bottles done. No need to submerge the bottles (although there is no harm in doing so) and the short time on the bottle tree lets most of the foam drain out.

Use a vinator http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/brewing-equipment/bottling/vinator-bottle-rinser to shoot StarSan into the bottles and then let them drain for a few minutes on a bottle tree. I do this to my bottles as I am racking to my bottling bucket, and by the time the beer is finished racking I can have all my bottles done. No need to submerge the bottles (although there is no harm in doing so) and the short time on the bottle tree lets most of the foam drain out.

+1

Those pumps are worth every penny. I wish I could keg, but can't. If I am stuck having to bottle my beer, I deserve something that makes bottling day easier.

And a bottling tree makes life easier as well.

And they are even cheaper when you find them at garage sales. I got my 45 bottle tree and vinator at a garage sale for $5, and these are the two brewing items I find the most at garage sales. But even at full price, they are indeed worth every penny.

Don't fear the foam snake!

20120204_122239-e1328378178569.jpg

+1^

I've used Starsan that had been mixed several months before. It's all fine. I actually rack the Starsan carefully to another bucket when the previous one has a lot of dust and residue on the bottom (it looks grayish), leaving that last murky pint (or quart) behind. As long as the pH remains 3 or under it works as intended, so don't put alkaline-soaked things in there, without first rinsing off (e.g., PBW, Oxiclean, washing soda).

One thing, placing a lid on the bucket is good to keep dust and stuff out and prevents evaporation, but after a few weeks you may get some (black) mold growing on the inside of the lid and areas that are not submerged in Starsan. It comes from condensation forming on those surfaces. So, wet/wash those surfaces every week or 2 with the Starsan to prevent mold from forming.

Fill a spray bottle with your Starsan solution, good for spot sanitation and under rims of bucket lids, etc.

Now preparing 2.5 gallons instead of 5 may be more efficient, making a fresh solution more often.

How about a bucket with a spout on it? Just open up the valve and pull of a little for your spray bottle or maybe a couple quarts for a small sanitizing bucket, what ever. Then just top off from time time with another gallon of fresh sanitizer. 1oz/5gal = 6ml/1gal Sound like a good idea or no?

I wish star san would make measurements easier for 1 gal. I always hesitate to make a gallon batch and i'm not filling up a 5 gallon bucket to sit around. I eye ball it but still makes me nervous that i use to much star san in my solution.

I wish star san would make measurements easier for 1 gal. I always hesitate to make a gallon batch and i'm not filling up a 5 gallon bucket to sit around. I eye ball it but still makes me nervous that i use to much star san in my solution.

Get a medicine syringe. No eyeballs required. Well, you'll still need them...

Last edited by a moderator:
How about a bucket with a spout on it? Just open up the valve and pull of a little for your spray bottle or maybe a couple quarts for a small sanitizing bucket, what ever. Then just top off from time time with another gallon of fresh sanitizer. 1oz/5gal = 6ml/1gal Sound like a good idea or no?

Yes, that can work. Sometimes one actually wants or needs a full 5-6 gallons, for example, to pre-purge a keg.

However, still beware, although mold cannot live in the Starsan itself it can develop in the condensation space, above it. Treat those sides and lid with Starsan regularly, like every week.

If the Starsan's pH rises above 3, it can be brought down to 3 (or under) with some phosphoric acid. You don't need much of the 85% concentrate, or better, a diluted working solution of it.

No off flavors should be caused by that small amount of starsan foam.

If anything, get yourself a bottling tree or one of those bottling racks where you store the bottles upside down. That way, before bottling, you sanitize all your bottles, hang them upside down to drain, and then bottle with minimal foam in the bottles.

Back