First brew- airlock is filling up with foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonymont

Reaction score
I pitched my yeast in my first brew last night, and I saw first signs of bubbling in the airlock this morning. I just got back from class and noticed that the liquid in the airlock is now a brownish color and overflowing with foam. The lid to my fermenter is bowing outward. What do you guys suggest I do? I know these are beginner questions, I'll keep researching while I wait on replys. Thanks

That happens to all of us on occasion... One thing to do is to add a blowoff tube.

If you are fermenting in the bucket, you can do this.

You do a modified 3 piece airlock blowoff tube with what you have already. If you are using a 3 piece airlock...Do this.

blowoff2.jpg

You have to find a piece of long hose that will fit in the center pipe of your airlock...I had to do it in a pinch and found the the hose I had for my bottling wand almost fit....I put a small slit in it, then I soaked it in hot water for a few minutes to Soften and slid it around the tube...

I also found it is a good idea to cut, saw or break off the little criss crossing piece of plastic at the bottom of the airlock. It works great!

If you are using a carboy, make sure you are using a 6.5 gallon carboy for your 5 gallon batches, and you should affix a blowoff tube like this;

7451-RIS_992.jpg

(I stole this pic from yooper who stole it from biermuncher)

The other end of the tube goes into a bucket, jar or small pail to which you added sanitizer or vodka.

thanks for the advice revvy. i was finally able to get a blowoff hose attached and it seems to be working alot better now. i did have a little explosion of hop resin into my face and all over the ceiling. :eek: should i keep this hose on for the entire fermentation? or replace it and put the airlock back on after the primary is done?

You can do either- the blow off tube is just really a big airlock. I switch back to an airlock, just to help save space and prevent messy spills if a dog/cat/person knocks over the sanitizer-filled container. But if you wish to keep the blow off tube on the entire time, that's fine.

the hose is essentially an airlock, just bigger. some people only use blow-offs. you can switch back if you want, but you don't have to.

Back