Overflowing airlock question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick_s

Reaction score
Hi all,
Seem to have quite a vigorous fermentation going here, had to rig up a blow off because the airlock was overflowing with Krausen. Did research on this and it seems to be the consensus that these types of issues are not really a problem. However, one thing that I didn't see anyone point out, or question, was if yeast is being lost during this process? Obviously, ale is top fermented, and with the Krausen bubbling out of the carboy, am I not loosing any yeast? I looked at the crud in the jug that I'm dumping into and it had some gritty, sandy type stuff in it. Looked like dried up liquid yeast. The carboy is still bubbling away as I type this, so maybe it's all good... Thoughts?

You may be losing some, but by the time you're at a full active fermentation like that it doesn't matter. The yeast is in suspension doing it's job, not just sitting in a film on the top of the beer. That's part of why your beer looks so cloudy during this phase.

I usually have have blow off on most of my beers here lately. I haven't had any issues with losing yeast, but I would have to assume some yeast is being lost. However, I haven't seen any loss in quality of my beers.

Latest posts

Back