should i dryhop this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuzzCraft

Reaction score
I brewed this brown ale for my buddies 40th and got a little behind the 8 ball. I'd hoped to get it brewed 8 weeks before tapping (gonna keg and force carb), but it'll be more like 4.5 weeks from grain to glass. I know it won't be fully developed, but should be fine. I know I could have brewed a quicker turnaround style, but my friends last name is Brown, so you can see my hands were tied!

THE QUESTION: I was originally planning on dryhopping with just 1/2 oz of Cascade, but now wondering whether I should skip it? What is the consensus on dry hopping when you're trying to get a beer to a drinkable state as quickly as possible? Any opinions?

Here's the recipe. I pitched a 2L starter, fermented at 65F and plan on leaving in the primary for 3 weeks, then straight to keg for 1.5 weeks to carb and clear.

TYPE: Partial Mash

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 3.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 15.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 32.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 74.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.00 lb Light Dry Extract (3.5 SRM) Dry Extract 21.44 %
5.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (1.6 SRM) Grain 58.95 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt (10.0 SRM) Grain 10.72 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.36 %
0.33 lb Chocolate Malt (338.0 SRM) Grain 3.54 %
0.50 oz Centennial [9.10 %] (60 min) Hops 13.1 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [7.50 %] (60 min) Hops 10.8 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [7.50 %] (15 min) Hops 5.3 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.50 %] (10 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.1 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [7.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 9.17 qt of water at 164.8 F 153.0 F

I would dry hop it. Maybe for the last 7 days. Cascades are an awesome hop and especially nice as a dry hop. It DOES make a difference. I have had beers that tasted just kinda boring, so I dry hop them and voila! A good beer! Let's put it this way... it will not make your beer worse if you dry hop.

Without even reading the post (I did however), I can say confidnetly - YES!!! To dry-hop or not to dry-hop is never a question. I usually dry-hop and condition at the same time although I read the other day that peak dry-hopping only lasts around a week anyway

Dry hopping will help hide some off flavors if present from shorter than normal conditioning.

Citrus hops and dark beers don't play well in my book. But why not at this point? I'd add the dry hops in the keg and pull them after 4-5 days.

I would say no to dry hopping a Brown. As much as I love hops, a Brown Ale should be about the malt. At 1.051 , I think it will be pretty drinkable at 4.5 weeks, especially since you are force carbing it.

Thanks for the replies, folks.

This is more or less a toned down version of an American Brown I've brewed (and dryhopped) multiple times in the past, which has turned out very well....I toned down the OG, bitterness and specialty malts a bit to try to get it turned around a bit quicker.

I was primarily wondering whether there would be an aging issue (grassy notes that take time to mellow, etc) with the dry hop addition...sounds like most of you think it won't be.

Again, I appreciate the feedback.

I love hoppy American Browns, so I would say yes, absolutely dry hop it.

I brewed an American Brown this past spring that was hopped with cascade and willamette. I dry hopped it with two ounces of hops and was drinking it 14 days after brewing. It actually won me a couple of awards, the first one being only about 4 weeks after brewing.

Back