Another "is my mead fermentation stuck" thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezimmerm

Reaction score
Hey brand new to this home brewing thing and have my first batch of mead going.

I'm makin the NB Semi Seet Mead kit
http://www.northernbrewer.com/winemaking/mead-kits/artisanal-semi-sweet-mead-kit.html

The OG was 1.084 and after 4 weeks (its only supposed to be in primary for 2 according to the directions) the mead is only down to 1.04.

At week 2 I swirled the carboy after getting a reading of 1.052 so it dropped but seems to have stalled again and is way to sweet for my (admittedly limited) tastes.

Two questions;

1. Should I pitch more yeast?
2. Should I rack this to a secondary (concerned about autolysis)

Thanks!

Rack it into another carboy and get a good part of the yeast cake, add some yeast nutrient. Maybe even start a new yeast starter from slurry. Stuck fermentation are a learning experience. It all else fails add some turbo yeast(last resort)

Hey brand new to this home brewing thing and have my first batch of mead going.

I'm makin the NB Semi Seet Mead kit
http://www.northernbrewer.com/winemaking/mead-kits/artisanal-semi-sweet-mead-kit.html

The OG was 1.084 and after 4 weeks (its only supposed to be in primary for 2 according to the directions) the mead is only down to 1.04.

At week 2 I swirled the carboy after getting a reading of 1.052 so it dropped but seems to have stalled again and is way to sweet for my (admittedly limited) tastes.

Two questions;

1. Should I pitch more yeast?
2. Should I rack this to a secondary (concerned about autolysis)

Thanks!
Autolysis takes months and months just to start, if it's going to. So it's very, very unlikley.

So I'd suggest that too start with, you add some nutrient and aerate it. If you're concerned about adding nutrient after the 1/3 sugar break, then take a teaspoon or so of bread yeast and boil it in about 1/8th pint of water for 10 or 15 minutes (simmer slowly of course). Then let it cool before adding it and aerate it then.......

So I bought some Red star yeast...boiled a teaspoon of it and put it in.

I gotta ask, is that full of nutrient or how does that get a stuck ferment going again?

Thanks for the help!

What temp are you fermenting at? Is it staying constant in that area? Did your smack pack bulge before you added it? I agree you could make a starter with the slurry on the bottom and then pour that in to get it going again. Your yeast me just need a good rousing too.

Latest posts

Back