Auber 2352 PIDs + heating element +pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrazza

Reaction score
So I want to use a Auber 2352 to heat my HLT. It will relay to the SSR which will switch power to the heating element. But I also planned on having the SSR switch power to a circulating pump whenever the heating element goes on. Is this going to kill my pump?

I guess I'm concerned about how the 2352 "flattens" the temperature approach towards set point. For instance, if I set my HLT temp to 165, and the water begins heating rapidly from 70 to 155, doesn't the 2352 change the relay output firing to the SSR so that it doesn't overshoot 165? If that's the case, is it bad to have a pump that is connected to the SSR?

Would there be a better way of doing this?

You can't run them off the same SSR, or even on the same "Heating" circuit AFAIK. The PID is going to turn the SSR (Heating Element) on 100% for a second and then off for a second, then on and back off again to get to your desired temp. Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge on this subject will chime in with a possible solution.

I use a RIMS and my pump is always on recirculating the wort (I have a separate on/off switch for it). The PID/SSR control the heating element. If you are using a RIMS tube, the pump should always be on or at least on long enough to fill the RIMS tube or the heating element will burn out.

I believe you can use it in on/off mode....it has a longer cycle time like you'd use to switch a freezer....you can set a differential so it won't turn the pump on until you get 2-3 degrees out of range. Pretty much like a Ranco or Johnson controller. But I think you'd need to buy a separate PID to do this. Really, a switch and dedicated circuit will work just fine.

Ok, I can come to terms with the that then...

What about this scenario with respect for a similar setup on a glycol tank... Can I use a different 2352 to relay a SSR to turn on a condensing unit and circulating pump? I mean is it possible to have the Auber PID output 100% without switching on/off for a few seconds? I thought people were using these PIDs on their kegerators, so they must be doing something?

Ok, I can come to terms with the that then...

What about this scenario with respect for a similar setup on a glycol tank... Can I use a different 2352 to relay a SSR to turn on a condensing unit and circulating pump? I mean is it possible to have the Auber PID output 100% without switching on/off for a few seconds? I thought people were using these PIDs on their kegerators, so they must be doing something?

Yes you could do that. As a matter of fact there is a write up on how to use an Auber PID for that.

If you just want a simple controller for a fridge/glycol/etc...you could go with a Johnson or Ranco....or even an Ebay PID....and save a few bucks. If you have your heart set on an Auber....sure, you could use it for all these things. Also, there is the BCS-460/462.....they have several outputs so you can control a pump, element, fridge, and chiller if you have the SSR's for it.

Back