fermenting edworts apfelwein with unusual yeasts (my choice is limited)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredthecat

The original homebrewer™.
Reaction score
so i now live in asia, and the alcohol selection is not so great, but for a test brew using the primitive equipment i think i can come up with i want to make a cider. i made apfelwein before and it turned out well (not like it cant), but there is almost zero homebrew selection in this country, there are three online stores but i want to avoid having to order stuff on,ine if i can help it for now.

but anyway, so there are a few unfiltered/pasteurized beers to choose from for yeast farming, a bunch of weizens, coopers stout (not much sediment), some unfiltered lagers i think but no straight and clean american or english ale. the other choice i have is a type of unfiltered rice beer with a light sake like taste, makkoli?

how would a weizen yeast fermented cool taste in a cider? or should i try to use the coopers? the makkoli is so cloudy and thick i wouldnt need to even make a starter but im wary of using it as it has that sake sourness i think from koji.

any advice or suggestions on alternate sources i havent thought of?

I think you have the makings of a good experiment here. Why not do three separate batches with each of the yeasts you mentioned and post your results?

Latest posts

Back