My First Brew, getting worried about my yeast colony.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erkle42

Reaction score
Ok so this is my first beer, I followed These instructions using coopers Australian pale Ale kit. I used the yeast included with the kit as all of my cider yeasts won’t work with Maltose(I’m pretty sure at least, I have a crap ton of ec-1118, and like ten packs of D-47 which I’ve been using to ‘make in container’ ciders out of my local apple juices). It’s the second sun up after brew day and I’m seeing exactly zero pressure in the bubbler from the colony. I’m pretty sure if got it sealed up so the gas isn’t leaking anywhere else.

what should I do to save the batch? Should I try pitching a package of my ec-1118? I think one of the other beer kits has a package of safale 05 but I don’t want to take away from that complete beer kit.

Attachments

• F2AB2485-44E3-4D99-9050-671C83733990.jpeg
    F2AB2485-44E3-4D99-9050-671C83733990.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
I don't get bubbling out of my airlock at all now that i have switched to buckets. i think those bucket lids must leak enough to not force bubbles through the air lock. I use the S type airlock. I have a Belgian Golden on day two of fermentation right now. I have positive pressure in the airlock meaning the sanitizer inside is getting pushed a little, but no bubbles. This happened last time and fermentation was great after i opened it and checked it. Bubbles are fun because then you know it is working, but i have been told by a lot of my brewing friends that they don't get them either - especially when using buckets.

Some strains of yeast do things slower. Is it at a good temperature for the yeast?

indoor temperature is 18C, so I imagine it would be close to that. with all of my ciders I had to watch them for the first day or so to ensure the krausen doesnt get pushed into the airlock.

I don't get bubbling out of my airlock at all now that i have switched to buckets. i think those bucket lids must leak enough to not force bubbles through the air lock. I use the S type airlock. I have a Belgian Golden on day two of fermentation right now. I have positive pressure in the airlock meaning the sanitizer inside is getting pushed a little, but no bubbles. This happened last time and fermentation was great after i opened it and checked it. Bubbles are fun because then you know it is working, but i have been told by a lot of my brewing friends that they don't get them either - especially when using buckets.

I'm pretty sure the seal is good, if you see in the picture there is exactly zero pressure lifting the bobble. I personally prefer the S-locks but they are all in use on my ciders
148449702_216616256811684_3126939092376578961_n[1].jpg

Only real way is to check with a hydrometer and take a gravity reading...airlocks on unreliably sealed buckets will sometimes not bubble because of the release.

Take a gravity reading and report back!

I don't do hydrometer checks, but if I'm not in the area where my fermentation takes place, I often don't see bubbles in the airlock. It only happens for a brief period. Anyway, when I open the fermenter to transfer it, there's always krausen traces inside. Have faith, Over 25 years, there's always been fermentation.

Last edited:
Grab an infared thermomater and make sure the temperature of the wort itself in within a range that the yeast will be happy with. I'm sure it says what temperature that yeast prefers?

Grab an infared thermomater and make sure the temperature of the wort itself in within a range that the yeast will be happy with. I'm sure it says what temperature that yeast prefers?
I dont know what yeast the Coopers DIY beer kits come with.....

I'm pretty sure it's an ale yeast, and the temps for that would be around high 60s low 70s.

https://www.homebrewing.org/Coopers-15-gram-Yeast_p_5247.html
So that looks to be 20-24⁰C

Did you rehydrate the yeast before pitching?

My dad brew's coopers kits all the time, and I helped him once brew one where we had to use a new packet from the tin. We rehydrated it in a glass with a bit of sugar dissolved, after a few minutes of chatting we didn't realize the thing took off and overflowed!

Anyways, RDWHAHB! It sounds you're fermenting on the cooler side, and if you didn't rehydrate the yeast, it may be slow to start. I'd give it another day or so and see

I'm pretty sure the seal is good, if you see in the picture there is exactly zero pressure lifting the bobble. I personally prefer the S-locks but they are all in use on my ciders

Also, what happens when you gently press the top of the fermenter? Does the airlock look like it's pushing up some gas/bubbles?

I've had so many issues with fermenters without a proper seal and worried, but in the end I let it go for a week or two, and after taking a hydro reading I found it fermented just fine. Just the bloody seal was the problem.

Another factor is how much headspace you got, I've noticed brewing smaller batches in larger fermenters that the more headspace you have, the longer it might take to build up pressure. But that's my experience.

I'm pretty sure it's an ale yeast, and the temps for that would be around high 60s low 70s.

https://www.homebrewing.org/Coopers-15-gram-Yeast_p_5247.html
So that looks to be 20-24⁰C

did not rehydrate, I’m seeing pressure this morning so it just took it’s sweet time....
Also, what happens when you gently press the top of the fermenter? Does the airlock look like it's pushing up some gas/bubbles?

I've had so many issues with fermenters without a proper seal and worried, but in the end I let it go for a week or two, and after taking a hydro reading I found it fermented just fine. Just the bloody seal was the problem.

Another factor is how much headspace you got, I've noticed brewing smaller batches in larger fermenters that the more headspace you have, the longer it might take to build up pressure. But that's my experience.

pushing down in the lid was causing pressure in the airlock to bubble. Re sealed the lid yesterday after fretting and checking the Krause. Filled the bucket up past the 5gal marker on the outside to the line on the inside near the top of the bucket( so all the way up to 6gal. The instructions on the can were for 23L/6gal) so not huge amounts of headspace.
Open the lid, is there a krausen forming? Is there visible activity?
Almost no Krausen, but I did see some bubbles so I just resealed it and waited.

did not rehydrate, I’m seeing pressure this morning so it just took it’s sweet time....

pushing down in the lid was causing pressure in the airlock to bubble. Re sealed the lid yesterday after fretting and checking the Krause. Filled the bucket up past the 5gal marker on the outside to the line on the inside near the top of the bucket( so all the way up to 6gal. The instructions on the can were for 23L/6gal) so not huge amounts of headspace.

Almost no Krausen, but I did see some bubbles so I just resealed it and waited.
Almost none means there is some, so relax and wait it out.

So there’s a couple things. First, it can easily take this long and longer to get things going in there.
second, airlock bubbles are about the least reliable method of judging fermentation there is.
Finally, there is a chance that the yeast may be done for after all. Those kits aren't known for being super fresh, and depending on storage conditions, it could have had bad conditions. ||This could have killed some of the yeast, leaving to rest to work harder and longer to get to the point they'll start eating the sugars.

So there’s a couple things. First, it can easily take this long and longer to get things going in there.
second, airlock bubbles are about the least reliable method of judging fermentation there is.
Finally, there is a chance that the yeast may be done for after all. Those kits aren't known for being super fresh, and depending on storage conditions, it could have had bad conditions. ||This could have killed some of the yeast, leaving to rest to work harder and longer to get to the point they'll start eating the sugars.

turns out it was just taking it’s time starting as it’s cold in Canada. Bubbling away fine now

I have expieriance with Cooper's kits! If you are making one of their ales, 65-75 should be perfect, though if it is a lager you will want to keep it around 65. The pilsner they make uses different yeast and it must be done at an even lower temperature. I really hope this helps!

I have expieriance with Cooper's kits! If you are making one of their ales, 65-75 should be perfect, though if it is a lager you will want to keep it around 65. The pilsner they make uses different yeast and it must be done at an even lower temperature. I really hope this helps!

How long do the coopers Ale Kit's normally take? im using the Australian Pale Ale kit this time but im thinking of doing the IPA next time.

How long do the coopers Ale Kit's normally take? im using the Australian Pale Ale kit this time but im thinking of doing the IPA next time.

All of thier ale kits seem to take no more then 7 days or so. Sometimes more like 5 days. You need to keep the temperature up to make sure it finishes in 5 days though. I really like their Australian pale ale, I've had it multiple times.

Back