Pay it Forward- Version 2009

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I was going through my basement the other day, and found a few odds and ends. It's kind of early yet, but I got to thinking of this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/1st-annual-homebrewtalk-com-pay-forward-thread-91460/

I would encourage everyone to take stock of what you have, and put any "extras" aside now so you can participate in this. It's a chance to get rid of a useful but unneeded item to help out someone else.

I'm doing that now- putting those items in a box and getting ready for it.

For us newbs- does this happen every December?

Sounds like an awesome idea. I wish I had my process down enough that I knew that I did and did not need. Maybe in time. Thanks for looking out for the little guy.

I've got a few odds and ends I can offer up. No reason we can't start this up now, right?

I've always enjoyed threads like this. I'm glad to see one on here.

I'm sure I can find something to get rid of that someone else can use.

I said this last year, but I'll say it again. Why limit to once a year in one thread. If you have something extra, go to the classifieds and make a thread called "PIF - item here". In the thread, put down details and any stipulations (like pay shipping, newbs only etc). This became so popular at BadgerAndBlade.com that there is an entire sub forum dedicated to it now.

That being said, I don't really have a problem with doing it this way either, and can probably round some stuff up to give away.

I said this last year, but I'll say it again. Why limit to once a year in one thread. If you have something extra, go to the classifieds and make a thread called "PIF - item here". In the thread, put down details and any stipulations (like pay shipping, newbs only etc). This became so popular at BadgerAndBlade.com that there is an entire sub forum dedicated to it now.

That being said, I don't really have a problem with doing it this way either, and can probably round some stuff up to give away.

Well, of course it doesn't have to be limited to once a year. But it seems like doing it all together encourages people to dig around and offer something up. It can be something small, and it will definitely be used by someone else.

Let's all look around, find some good stuff, and I'll post a thread sometime around November 1. (I'll be gone from Thursday to Sunday next week to "bird camp")

Idea would have a PIF before and after the hoilidays.

Everyone allways gets somethin for x-mas....Matter its a upgrade or extra we didnt need per say.

Might work out really well... Just an idea.

I'm definitely in. Last year I invested in brewing gear and ingredients that I was absolutely certain I was going to use. I was wrong, and I'd hate to see some of it go to waste.

Hi guys, I'm new but I want to participate. I don't have a lot to offer but I can think of one thing I have a new brewer would love. Subscribing to this thread to keep a lookout for the official start :)

I'll participate too. I've got some extra stuff that somebody would like, and save about $100 in the process.

I am only two weeks in and I already have some things I can offer up.

Homer, I just sent you a 55# sack of wet two row. 8am Priority for tomorrow. Postage due, Hope you don't mind.

I'll definitely have a few things to add to the list.

B

I dont like the idea of mooching off people, but I am an incredibly poor university student, and if anybody has anything that they don't need I would be delighted to get something thats not of any use to them. things like this are a blessing to us poor students struggling to make rent :D

This is an awesome idea. As a newbie to the brewing world this would be awesome. Of course the idea of mooching of others kind of makes me feel like a jackass, but if someone has something they'd like to offer I'd be glad to accept. Hopefully the whole idea of "Pay if forward" would permit me to help some newbie out next year when I (hopefully) have experience and things to give.

-R

my sisters boyfriends friend just gave me a bunch of stuff he didnt need anymore for brewing. ive never even met the guy but i thought that was pretty cool. i got a 5 gallon carboy, caps, some old heffe extract pre hopped, new bottle capper, plain racking cane, tons of priming sugar, some small buckets, and some other random stuff.

Hopefully the whole idea of "Pay if forward" would permit me to help some newbie out next year when I (hopefully) have experience and things to give.

-R

thats exactly how I feel. If this thing helps me out right now, then next year when im headlong into this and have leftover stuff, I will help somebody out the same way i was. I love this idea

I've got a few things identified. Plus, Nov 1 is my birthday, hopefully I'll luck out and be on the receiving end too!

Will there be any rules? I suggest that no one person monopolizes everything by putting their name in for everything. If you get something in one post, you should have to let others have a chance to get stuff from other posts.

Will there be any rules? I suggest that no one person monopolizes everything by putting their name in for everything. If you get something in one post, you should have to let others have a chance to get stuff from other posts.

From what I read in last year's thread, I think one of the rules was 1 item per person. I could be mistaken though.

From what I read in last year's thread, I think one of the rules was 1 item per person. I could be mistaken though.

Yes, you can claim one item, unless the donator says the items they have must go together. If an item remains unclaimed, then it can be claimed by someone who has already taken an item (but let's give people a week or so- not everybody is on HBT endlessly like me!).

The "giver" can ask for shipping costs to be paid, especially for large items. Most won't though!

The donator can specify if they want their items to go to different people, or if one person is ok. Like if someone has three tap handles, they may specify that it can go to one person.

What a cool idea. I may have some things to offer as well. Love the chance to help others grow in the craft, and be helped if the case may be.

Hey just to put it out there - I get great shipping rates through my job.
If anyone needs to ship something heavy for this event I would be willing to generate the shipping label and email it to them providing they paid me back on pay pal.
I get around 50% off UPS ground so let me know if I can help with the heavy stuff.
Maybe since I don't have a lot of gear I can cover shipping for someone as my pay it forward contribution. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back