Stock pot range anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChshreCat

Reaction score
I used one of these when I worked in a restaurant for a short time after high school and got to thinking about them for a someday indoor all grain setup.

American Range Economy Gas Stock Pot Range Heavy Duty Stainless Steel SPSH-18 - Pronto Home.com

386-shsp18.jpg

Any thoughts?

Yeah, but if I was remodeling my kitchen, I could see doing this. We're talking about my dream kitchen/brewery here. :D

Not something that I'd just go and pick up as my next brewing toy. I'm dreamin' here! :D

If you're remodeling your kitchen, look for a gas range that you can put a wok burner or two in. 100k BTU burners to get lots of wort up to a boil.

I used one of these when I worked in a restaurant for a short time after high school and got to thinking about them for a someday indoor all grain setup.

American Range Economy Gas Stock Pot Range Heavy Duty Stainless Steel SPSH-18 - Pronto Home.com

386-shsp18.jpg

Any thoughts?
Average Turkey Fryer is about 60,000 BTU. This Range is 90,000 BTU. You should check your gas line if it can supply enough gas when you use it.
Other than that it should work. With 90,000 you should be able to boil 20 Gal depending on your heat loss. Some vent over it might also be helpful.

I got the 3 ring burner that goes in these, and am in the process of mounting it on my brew rig. Check out the burner here:
3-Ring Burner (natural gas) - CHINESE WOK RANGES - RANGES - EQUIPMENT
and the valve here:
1/8" Gas Burner Valve.

Buying the whole stock pot range would look nicer, but the price jump seems pretty phenomenal for brewing. It's a hobby--if you've got the cash and it give you pleasure, go for it. If you don't want to (or can't) spend as much as those ranges cost, these parts get you the guts of the range.

Those 90K BTU plus 3 ring for a large even heating with the low price that's within reason is the best burner I have i've seen posted on this forum. Great posting.
I could never understand a 180-200K plus BTU burners with flames shooting out past the sides of the keggles not heating where it's needed just wasting BTU's of energy into the air not the keggles. My friend's starting in the design stages and will now build around these burners, thanks for the posting. NG is his plan as NG is in the open patio just add a quick disconnect to the manual gas shutoff valve. A all safe construction build.
Again thanks for these burner postings.

Wouldn't this gas range require some serious ventilation? I was looking into an indoor solution recently, and was also considering something like this, but eventually decided to install the natural gas brewery in my garage as a result of ventilation concerns. My understanding is that your average natural gas range only puts out a few thousand btu's and the combustion is very efficient, thus producing a low amount of carbon monoxide. But I would assume that a 90,000 BTU natural gas stove would put off a fairly large amount combustion by-products.

I replaced the gas line to my grill with 1" pipe, and put in tees for the brew cart both inside and outside of the basement door. When we fire these up inside in the winter I'll leave the door open, and still bring the CO monitor downstairs for good measure. It's a lot of heat, too, so a box fan may figure in to the picture. Like I said, I'm in the process of mounting these. At this point my brews have all been extract based, but my MLT is about done, and the cart is getting close (thanks, Scuba Steve). Even for those extract boils it's a lot of heat and steam on the stove. In decent weather the cart and I will go out in the back yard.

Back