Just need to sanitize a 3 part airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheSlink

Reaction score
Hi:

It's time to take off the blow off tube and put the airlock on. All I have is Idophore (sp?) and I don't need to make up a mess of 2 1/2 gallon and all that details. Would there be anything laying around the house I could use? I have : Witch Hazel, Anti-microbial hand soap, alcohol pads, pickle juice (contains vinegar). I can't think of anything else. I'm not talking about leaving it in the airlock; I use tap water for that.

Bill

Rubbing alcohol work if you have it.

And it really wouldn't matter if you made the Iodopher to strong its not going to be touching the beer. Just mix up some in a small cup to a light straw color

this is why most of my brewing uses bleach. If it's a brew day I might use a different sanitizer, but for stuff like this, bleach is basically free and effective.

Otherwise just pour a shot or two of vodka in a cup, fill the rest with water, and let it sit for a bit.

I just put a couple drops of Iodophor in a small bowl with some water and throw the airlock and rubber stopper in there for half an hour. Then I put it on the carboy and fill it with vodka. Works for me.

The easiest thing that many of us who use iodophor and/or starsan is to get a spray bottle, (I think mine holds a quart) a child's medicinal eye dropper that measures in milliliters, and a gallon of distilled water. You just calculate how many mls of iodophor you need for a quart of water, fill the spray bottle with distilled water, squirt in the correct amount of sanitizer, seal the spray bottle, give it a few shakes to mix, then you can spray down anything you need to sanitize.

In a sealed spray bottle, with starsan or iodophor in distilled water, it lasts nearly forever.

You never have to mix up a large amount of no-rinse sanitizer any way...In the case of iodophor especially, becasue of the color, if you know what 1 tbs. of iodophor in 5 gallons of water (the proper dillution ratio) looks like, (A light straw color) then you can alway just mix up any amount you need (even a cup of it) by adding a few drops of iodophor until the color matches....

If you use normal household bleach, you would need 1/2 tbs of bleach (or 1 1/2 tsp) for every gal of H2O to make a 50 PPM chlorine solution. Typically you would want to use a minimum of 50 PPM to sanitize.

Soak for 10 minutes, and rinse with tap water. Don't recontaminate!

Good luck.

The easiest thing that many of us who use iodophor and/or starsan is to get a spray bottle, (I think mine holds a quart) a child's medicinal eye dropper that measures in milliliters, and a gallon of distilled water. You just calculate how many mls of iodophor you need for a quart of water, fill the spray bottle with distilled water, squirt in the correct amount of sanitizer, seal the spray bottle, give it a few shakes to mix, then you can spray down anything you need to sanitize.

In a sealed spray bottle, with starsan or iodophor in distilled water, it lasts nearly forever.

You never have to mix up a large amount of no-rinse sanitizer any way...In the case of iodophor especially, becasue of the color, if you know what 1 tbs. of iodophor in 5 gallons of water (the proper dillution ratio) looks like, (A light straw color) then you can alway just mix up any amount you need (even a cup of it) by adding a few drops of iodophor until the color matches....

OK cool. I was under the impression Idophor wasn't good for very long at all, which I is why I dump my spray bottle of it after the end of brew day. I was going to pick up star san to keep in a bottle, but if idophor keeps well then I won't.

Thanks guys. I ended up making a cup of idophore from a drop or two. I don't keep spirits in the house; no one drinks them.

Bill

OK cool. I was under the impression Idophor wasn't good for very long at all, which I is why I dump my spray bottle of it after the end of brew day. I was going to pick up star san to keep in a bottle, but if idophor keeps well then I won't.

Thanks guys. I ended up making a cup of idophore from a drop or two. I don't keep spirits in the house; no one drinks them.

Bill

Get a clear spray bottle and even go a little darker in the color of iodophor...and seal it up in your bottle...and as long as you see color it is good.

Back