Bullion Hops??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevRon

Reaction score
I just stopped by my local home brew shop and bought some Bullion hops for 55 cents an oz. The label on the package says they are LD Carlson brand and claims they have 9.6 AA. The label also has a packaging date was 10/07. I was wondering if anyone has ever used this cultivar before and if they liked them.

I just stumbled onto a page about bullion hops here

Bullion Hops Profile

According to the site this hop is only grown on about 100 acres in the us and that some brewers think it to be extinct. Not to bad for 55 cents an ounce.

Bullion is an older British bittering variety. It makes a good bittering hop for just about any UK ale. Should be OK for bittering in domestic styles too.

Bullion used to be a major bittering hop, but the newer high AA hops have better storage characteristics.

A few years back, I asked freshops about Bullion because I was particularly interested in the 'Black Currant' flavor component that Bullion is supposed to give. Along with what david mentions (which is the reason really why Bullion is very hard to come by) they suggested Brewer's Gold as an improvement over Bullion in terms of storage. I brewed my first batch with them recently (my plants are 2 years old now) and I can definitely detect the Black Currant, I am really excited and hope that it appears in the final product.

A few years back, I asked freshops about Bullion because I was particularly interested in the 'Black Currant' flavor component that Bullion is supposed to give. Along with what david mentions (which is the reason really why Bullion is very hard to come by) they suggested Brewer's Gold as an improvement over Bullion in terms of storage. I brewed my first batch with them recently (my plants are 2 years old now) and I can definitely detect the Black Currant, I am really excited and hope that it appears in the final product.

Fully agree on the Brewer's Gold. The two hops are closely related but IMO the BG just makes better beer. I use BG as an important hop in one of my brews and over the years I have had to substitute Bullion a few times. I much prefer the Brewers' Gold. Unfortunately both of these hops are older varieties and have been mainly replaced by the newer high alpha types so they are not always easy to find.

Fully agree on the Brewer's Gold. The two hops are closely related but IMO the BG just makes better beer. I use BG as an important hop in one of my brews and over the years I have had to substitute Bullion a few times. I much prefer the Brewers' Gold. Unfortunately both of these hops are older varieties and have been mainly replaced by the newer high alpha types so they are not always easy to find.

That's the main reason I wanted the rhizomes. :mug:

Zoebisch01:

I use Brewer's Gold in a Ballantine XXX Ale reproduction I am trying to perfect, and love the black currant flavors it delivers. It's a hard hop to find, as others have said, so can you tell me where you got the rhizomes? I'd love to add some to my hop garden.

Just picked up a pound of Bullion off Nikobrews grab bag. Anybody have a favorite recipe they would like to share? I have no idea how I'm going to use a pound.

Just picked up a pound of Bullion off Nikobrews grab bag. Anybody have a favorite recipe they would like to share? I have no idea how I'm going to use a pound.

Me too. Guess Nikobrew had a bunch of bullion. Adventures in Homebrewing "Gooder than Guinness" recipe uses buliion, but I am also seeking other recipes.

Latest posts

Back