First Cider, and I have questions. Please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnheather125

Reaction score
A little back ground and my recipe.
5 gal. Musselmans apple cider
10 cups sugar
1 packet Red Star champagne Yeast
I took 5 cups from the cider and added the 10 cups sugar, I was aiming for caramelization but pretty sure I missed that as I was worried of burning it. Added that to the carboy with the rest of the cider, then shook and pitched yeast. Like I said this is my first cider. I plan on back sweetening with honey or brown sugar. And here is where the questions start. It has been in the fermenter for 10 days and the airlock is still bubbling like crazy. So when do I transfer to secondary? Do I back sweeten right after transferring or wait until bottling and then pasteurize? Should I use honey or brown sugar or maybe both? Last but not least will I be able to use my plastic racking cane for beer after using it for this cider?

I would wait a bit, no rush with the first racking, and don't bother back sweetening until you are ready to bottle, your Chamagne yeast will just ferment that out as well, rack into secondary and give it some time to clear and drop more lees other then that your recipe sounds great, hope it turns out.

Back