2ndary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rflach1

Reaction score
i'm new to the hobby and doing some reading and thinking about how to upgrade and came across this thing called 2ndary fermentation.....any thought. is it that much better, is it worth the extra work?

A good beer needs to be aged for a few weeks. The problem is the layer of trub in the bottom of the fermenter after the primary fermentation is complete. If you let the beer sit on the trub too long, the dead yeast will start to produce off flavors. Racking to a secondary solves this problem, usually a 5 gallon glass carboy. If you don't have one, that's fine. A week to ten days in the primary and then bottling will produce a fine beer, but letting it sit in the secondary for a few weeks will only make it better. I just transferred my first batch to a secondary. This is my tenth batch. The previous nine have been fine. This one is a stout. It tasted great at transfer, but it's still a little rough around the edges. A few more weeks and it will mellow out great.

Back