hoppy stout????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hungry4hops

Hop to it!
Reaction score
I love hoppy beer IPA, IIPA, double IPA the more hops the better! And I also love stouts, im wondering if the two can be combined some how or if anyone has any good recipes. Thanks guys!

You can certainly make a hoppy stout. The body of a stout will require very high IBUs for the hop bitterness to come through. In the end, it'll taste like a Cascadian Ale/Black IPA.

Good luck!

Victory brewing's Storm King stout is supposed to have exactly the same hop profile as their hop devil IPA. It's just fortified with more robust malts. You can try looking for a clone - I think its one of the best examples of a hoppy stout. Definitely try it if you get victory in your area.

I love storm king and I also have a case of dark intrigue, do you know if they dry hop the storm king?

Yeah storm king is my favorite victory beer, most things considered.

I don't know for certain about dry hopping. It doesn't have that characteristic grassy taste of dry hopping, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is somewhat masked by the strength of the malts.

Either way, if it were me, I would dry hop it anyways. Or break it up into two batches and dry hop one to see which is closer.

If you are into brewing to style, an American Stout may be one you would like to shoot for.

Victory brewing's Storm King stout is supposed to have exactly the same hop profile as their hop devil IPA. It's just fortified with more robust malts. You can try looking for a clone - I think its one of the best examples of a hoppy stout. Definitely try it if you get victory in your area.

+1 I think Storm King is probably my favorite RIS out there!

What would be the difference between a hoppy Russian imperial stout and a black ipa? Sorry if its a dumb question

hungry4hops said:
What would be the difference between a hoppy Russian imperial stout and a black ipa? Sorry if its a dumb question

RIS are higher abv, traditionally have high bitterness but with low hop character. And that hop character is generally more European. Your black ipa, or American black ale or CDA or whatever you wanna call it usually won't have as much alcohol and usually showcase a big American hop profile along with dark malt character.

Three Floyds has a super-hoppy one called Alpha Klaus. they say it's a porter, but it sure tasted like a stout to me.

Back