First recipe, thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niemer

Reaction score
1lb Belgian Pilsner (2 row) steeped
9.15lbs Pilsner LME
2lbs clear candi sugar
0.75oz Warrior (60min)
0.50os Simcoe (20min)
Wyeast #1388 Belgian Strong Ale

Any thoughts? My wife really likes Tripels so that's what I based it on, and I have the hops in the freezer from an IPA I did this summer so I'd like to use them. The one thing I'm really not sure about is the yeast selection, I will do a starter on a stir plate for this.

I'm thinking about calling it American Tripel.

I assume you are targeting a 5 gallon batch?
if so, your OG might be a bit high for a tripel, I'd aim to tone it down to maybe 7lbs pilsen DME, 2 lb candi sugar and leave the hops.
Having used that yeast, make sure you are on top of your temp control, or the yeast profile will get mighty out of control.

Yes, this will be a 5 gallon batch, I downloaded the trial of Beersmith and used it to create the recipe, it puts my original at an OG of 1.078, 28 IBUs, 5.0 SRM and est. ABV of 8.8%

Using what you suggest would give an OG of 1.074, 30 IBUs, 3.7 SRM, and est. ABV of 8.3%. The OG and color are both low for the style according to beersmith, but being new to recipe creation I guess I don't know how much of a difference that makes.

I don't have good means of temp control at the moment, but during the winter the room I use for primaries stays at around 65-67 deg. F, is there another yeast that would be more tolerant of temperature fluctuation?

8.8% is OK for a Tripel. Just make sure you have a good starter. The 1 lb of base grains won't do anything for a beer this size even if you did mash it.

There are several yeast strain you could use. I don think those temperatures favor one over another.

Back