when to add cacao nibs to porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickyspalding

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a Brewers Best Baltic Kit, I was planning to add a little molasses, chocolate and cardamom to the process. Just to add to the complexities. I read around and decided not to add more than a half cup of blackstrap to the boil. Obviously this Porter has some Chocolate malts with it, but just to give it a little more I have raw cacao nibs to add. I have read people making chocolate porters doing their cocoa powder and then adding nibs in the secondary. My question is should I add to the secondary as well? I was planning to roast them first, should these be ground down too, or just as is and put in secondary? I figure no more than 2 dry ounces, as I am not making a flat out chocolate porter. I have no base to work with to know when it is too much or not enough. Thanks for the help!! :mug:

Ohh Cocoa Nibs.........used in a Chocolate Cream Stout as well as Chocolate Rasberry Stout.

We used nibs in the secondary. Used Cocoa powder in the boil, late.

Cocoa nibs arent going to give you very much chocolate flavor. It will give you some aroma and if will definately give you bitterness. It also takes away a little from the body, so offset with extra oats. The oils thin it out.

We ground ours, or should I say bought them pre-ground.

Good luck, curious to hear how it comes out.

Back