Brew Stand Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigred

Reaction score
So I have been using a turkey fryer and 48qt cooler for brewing, and I am ready to step it up a notch. I am going to build a stand out of 2 inch square tubing. It will look very similar to a frame of a brutus dimensions wise. My plan is to use the current burner I have on the left along with the aluminum turkey fryer pot for my hot liquor tank. In the middle I will have my 48 qt cooler(for now) as my MLT. And then buy a new burner for the boil pot on the right. I plan to run it off of one pump, and I am going to be using a blichman counter flow chiller to cool it down.

I have done a lot of reading, but have come up with a few questions before I start.

First, right now both my kettles don't have valves on them, so I am going to put my own on. I just have one concern.... all of the ones I have seen look like you just put an o-ring on the outside and inside, and then a washer on each side. I just don't see how tight this will seal, and I'm worried about a leak. Am I missing something or will it really not leak???

Second, what type, and size hose should I use? I will be using a march 809 hs pump. My ball valves for the kettle will be half inch, but I can buy an adapter for the hose.

And last for now, since I'm only using 1 pump, I was thinking about using quick connects on the kettle side of lines. Do I need special connects, or will any work? I was thinking about the ones for air compressors but not sure if they will?

I am going out tomorrow to buy the 2 inch stalk to start fabricating the frame on the weekend. I can't wait until this rig is done, it will make brewing so much smoother and easier.

Thanks for any advice, and if anyone has pictures of any of the things I have questions about, that would help a lot.:mug:

For hose size use 1/2 in silicone hose. The size should work for both your pum and your plate chiller. Then use 1/2in barbed hose adapters.

As far as the weldless connections, I use it for a rubbermaid mlt, and have not noticed any leaks.

For hose size use 1/2 in silicone hose. The size should work for both your pum and your plate chiller. Then use 1/2in barbed hose adapters.

As far as the weldless connections, I use it for a rubbermaid mlt, and have not noticed any leaks.

I can get silicone hose from work, but it is blue and normaly for rad hoses and such, is this ok? Or do you have to get the clear type from a plumbing supply place?

That I do not know. I don't know if all silicone are food grade and rated for high temps. Maybe look on the hose for numbers and google it.

I am using a system very close to the one you propose. I have though made two adjustments.

1) I place my mash tun on a Black and Decker saw horse. It allows me to move it around and experiment with placement. Also, I brew in the Wisconsin winter and I will be designing a system to hold heat.

2) I mounted my one pump on a 4" X 4" piece of lumber so I could move it around until I define the place I want it mounted. I am actually finding I may not mount it as I can move it out of my way whenever, is easily accessed for cleaning and I can store in in the house rather than the cold garage.

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll270/RepWI/?action=view&current=img_2471.jpg

Thanks for the help gammon!

I just got back from buying 50 ft of 2 inch tubing for the frame. I am going to be fabricating the frame tomorrow:tank:

I will be sure to post pics as I make progress. :mug:

I just got back from work(Kenworth Dealership), and I have all the pieces cut to length, and ready to weld together tomorrow.

Anymore advice on the quick connects? Do they have to be special for brewing or can they be any brass or SS quick connect?

I just got back from work(Kenworth Dealership), and I have all the pieces cut to length, and ready to weld together tomorrow.

Anymore advice on the quick connects? Do they have to be special for brewing or can they be any brass or SS quick connect?

I have been using polycarbonate QD's from usplastics.com.
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=25024&catid=743

They aren't available in threaded, so you have find another way to attach them, but they are only like $5 a SET. After I found they hold up fine to the temps (I have one mounted to my BK), I bought a crap load of them. Every thing has QD's and I have spares incase any get damaged. Another kinda cool thing, is that they are clear, easy to see water/wort moving through the system.

Ed

Thanks for all the help so far guys. I just got in from the garage, and the base frame is all welded up. I was going to go back out and take pics to show you guys but it's -5 C out there now so I'm staying in for the night. I will get pics tomorrow. I plan to pick up the march pump and the blichman plate chiller within the next week or so and then I will start incorporating those into the stand.

Any suggestions for a burner? Right now I have one burner from a turkey fryer I plan to use for the HLT. What would you suggest for the boil kettle? I was thinking about the blichman, but it's $175 here, so if anyone has an alternative that would be good.:ban:

So last night I went to the owner of home brewing supplies house to get a pump and chiller. I came back with some nice SS QD's and some high temp o rings for my kettles. Spent a bit more than planned, but it is going towards a good cause.:mug:

My neighbor works for a plumbing/ h-vac supply store that has every fitting and then some. He can get me anything thats there for cost plus 5%. So I am going there on Wednesday to pick up all the hose, hose clamps, barbed fittings, ball valves etc for it. Then pretty much all I have left is mounting the pump, chiller, and wheels. And at some point paint it.:rockin:

Latest posts

Back