Left my yeast out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacklab

Reaction score
In any other forum no one would click on this one!:eek:

I accidentally left two vials of yeast out of the fridge overnight. Can I put them back in, or are they done for?

thanks!

Unless your kitchen hit really high temps overnight (are u in hell?) you should be fine. Those little critters are tougher than we make them out to be. RDWHAHB.

Nope, they little dudes were in my 65-ish basement. I'm in Portland, OR, which many consider to be Beervana. So probably not hell.

thanks.

Brewing Clamper said:
Unless your kitchen hit really high temps overnight (are u in hell?) you should be fine. Those little critters are tougher than we make them out to be. RDWHAHB.
+1. After all, lots of us mail-order yeast during warmer parts of the year and even when it gets pretty warm during shipment it usually survives just fine, it's only when it gets really hot that you have real problems.

Im sure they enjoyed the night and hanging with their buddies. Just toss them back in the fridge.

Cheesefood said:
Point them down when you open them, or you'll get a full-on yeast bukkake.

does this always happen with liquid yeast vials? after warming to room temp?

I don't know if it's the warm or not- but it DOES happen if you open it after shaking. The instructions say, "Shake well.". So I did. Then I opened it. I had yeast on the ceiling and everywhere, but none left for my beer. Now, I open it very slowly (waiting for the "hiss") and pointed to where I'm planning on putting it!

I always burp my vials after shaking...just like you'd vent a bottle of soda that got dropped. just barely crack it so it can hiss...then it'll be ok to open and pitch.

Back