Hefeweizen Split Batch = Hefeweizen And Dunkelweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt81

Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I have an upcoming Oktobefest party. I've been debating if I should have hefeweizen or dunkelweizen on tap at my party. I came up with a solution of having both but only brewing once!? Please tell me if you think this would work....

step 1: 24 Hours before brew day cold steep dark grains (chocolate wheat, roast barley, carafa III...etc)
step 2: Brew a 10 gallon, all grain batch of hefeweizen with a decoction mash
step 3: prep dark grain cold steep for wort
step 4: transfer hefeweizen into two - 6.5 gallon carboys
step 5: pour sanitary dark grain wort into one of the carboys
step 6: ferment the two batches at different temps to give beers completely different flavor and aroma. hefeweizen at 63 and dunkelweizen at 70.
step 7: ferment in kegs right before final gravity.

any ideas or opninions would be much appreciated. i searched for a similar thread before posting and found nothing like what i am thinking?

cheers!

I made a dunklewisen a while ago with chocolate malt and if I did it again I'd get the color from other souces like Munich. It was just too roasty.

Cold steeping would definitely cut down on the roasty flavors and astringency related to highly kilned grains - that being said I would personally use more carafa III (special) in the cold-steep blend than any of the others listed just to make sure I primarily get color and not roast. I would probably do a 1/3: choco wheat/carafa

Back