120 Minute boil (no hops for 60 minutes)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbsengineer

Reaction score
My first all grain batch was to say the least a learning experience. I plugged all my numbers into Beersmith and I in the end I had far to much preboil volume. So I boiled it down for 60 minutes, then started the hop additions. Is there any off flavors or oddities that might induce to the beer? I made sure to aerate it well with afterward.

It will probably make the beer slightly darker in color from Maillard reactions, which can add some subtle caramel flavors, but not bad flavors. Nothing to worry about.

I plugged all my numbers into Beersmith and I in the end I had far to much preboil volume.

Did you set up a custom equipment profile for your equipment? Volumes should be pretty much exact if you did this correctly in BeerSmith. Basically, you just set up the specific boil-off rate, grain absorbtion, and average loss to trub and cooling evaperation for your specific equipment and process. The boil-off rate is the biggest factor, so you may need to do a mock boil with just water to dial it in exactly, but it is well worth the effort.

Did you set up a custom equipment profile for your equipment? Volumes should be pretty much exact if you did this correctly in BeerSmith. Basically, you just set up the specific boil-off rate, grain absorbtion, and average loss to trub and cooling evaperation for your specific equipment and process. The boil-off rate is the biggest factor, so you may need to do a mock boil with just water to dial it in exactly, but it is well worth the effort.

I thought I had. I will redo it. There is some verbiage within the program that I don't fully understand. I'll just need to hop back on the forums and ask I guess.

Is the boil off calculation the amount boiled per hour?

Yes, the amount boiled off per hour. Also, make sure when you start a new recipe that you pick your custom profile as the equipment for that batch.

Latest posts

Back