30 minute pre-boil without hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOBTHEukBREWER

Reaction score
Reading a recent thread on boil time, I have decided my next standard brew will be boiled for 30 minutes without hops, and then double quantities of hops added at 30, 15 and 5 minutes, will give feedback in due course.

Depends on the style, I guess. I recently made a BelinerWiesse that had a 15m boil.

Two things you will lose for sure:

1) Bitterness - not as much AA will be extracted from your bittering hops, so your IBUs will drop
2) Color - you wort will not 'caramelize' as much. The color will not be as deep, and flavor might be affect a bit

One major item to account for:

Your wort won't be as concentrated, so your OG could be significant affected if you don't account for the shorter boil time.

If you are looking for bigger hop flavor and aroma, I'd suggest testing late hop additions. Great article here: http://www.mrmalty.com/late_hopping.htm

I recently made the Evil Dead Red and it is awesome.

pearlbeer, I think you missed that he's still doing a 60 minute boil with the first hop addition at 30 minutes.

Did this in a recent Chinook / Willamette Pale Ale except first addition at 40 minutes. Very pleased! The bitterness was less harsh than full boil hopping with the same IBU's.

edit:
This turned out to be my wife's new favorite beer. Hope to brew it again this weekend.
Kicked the keg on Thanksgiving!

Wa thinking about trying this on my next batch as well after reading about hop bursting. Please update how it goes.

Any update?

I would mostly be concerned about the clarity of the finished beer, if anything. Hot break occurs when tannins meet up with proteins and precipitate. Most tannins come from grain husks, with a small contribution coming from bittering hops. If you take away bittering hops, it may have some small effect on hot break formation, but I would assume it is negligible compared to the effect of contact with grain husks during mashing/sparging/decoction.

Did this with my last clone of Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale. I read a lot about it and just changed the additions and amounts to later in the boil and kept the bitterness the same with Beersmith and it turned out fantastic. I will be doing more late hop additions in the future.

How was the clarity?

Not bad considering its only been in the keg for 2 days:

30utpnc.jpg

i just made bee cave house pale ale for the first time on Friday, yours seems very amberish im kind of surprise by that, did you change the original recipe? did you dry hop?
btw nice stella glass, erm chalice :)

cciszew said:
i just made bee cave house pale ale for the first time on Friday, yours seems very amberish im kind of surprise by that, did you change the original recipe? did you dry hop?
btw nice stella glass, erm chalice :)

Its actually lighter than the pic shows. I think the combo of my poor cellphone pic and the fact it's against the dark covered Yeast book makes it appear darker. I will post my hop schedule sometime tomorrow when I have a chance.

Nice pic acefaser! I own that book and loved reading it, in fact I started a thread called "good read" about it. Your beer looks mighty good!

So all he is basically saying is that he is doing a 90 min boil correct? I always boil 30 min before 1st hop. The beers that I have been brewing come out nice clear with the exception of on batch. It cleared up later cold aging in keg. I have read that it helps with DMS issues. I could have misunderstood the op though.

Cheers

No you can still do a 60 min boil.

So instead of a traditional recipe designed like this:
60 min, 1 oz Hop x
15 min, 1 oz Hop y
2 min, 1 oz hop z

You would reconfigure the hop schedule like this:
25 min, 3 oz Hop x (same IBU's total as the 60 min above)
15 min, 1 oz Hop y
2 min, 1 oz hop z

The idea is that instead of boiling that vegetation for 60 min to extract every last bit of alpha, you use a lot more in a later addition to match the IBU's, but at the same time that "burst" of hops contributes greatly to the flavoring addition being at 25 -30 min.

Result: Same bitterness, much more flavoring.
Cost: additional hops.

Larger breweries don't use this method because of the cost of extra hops needed. Home brewers can take advantage of this because we use a lot less hops comparatively.

My last Bee Cave Pale Ale I modified the hop schedule to this:
60 min boil
1 oz cascade @ 25 min
2 oz cascade @ 15 min
1 oz cascade @ 5 min

IBU 39 (same as original recipe)

I also dry hopped with .6 oz homegrown cascade.

I did a great Evil Twin-ish beer with all hopbursting.

But since it was AG, I still did a 60 minute boil. I just added the hops at 20, 15, 10, 5, and 0 and lots of them!

Back