Making yogurt cheese in grain bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madbaldman

Reaction score
I'm making some yogurt cheese (I know, not really cheese) today and had the thought of straining it through a grain bag instead of cheese cloth. I just paid $3 at the grocery for enough cheese cloth to do one batch of yogurt cheese. If a grain bag works, it would be reusable and save me some money. Will this work?

If you are very, very, very careful to sanitize afterward. Yogurt bacteria and beer to not play well together. Or you could have a dedicated bag.

Yes, I would use a dedicated bag. I don't even use a grain bag for brewing much these days.

Good point though, I hadn't thought about cross contamination. Something to consider.

Cross contamination could be an issue. You WANT lactobacillus for cheese making, and you don't want it for beer.

Today I'm making a batch of chevre. I did all of my wine stuff first, and put them away and under airlock. (I racked 16 gallons of wine!). Then, I started the cheese. It has its own dedicated thermometer, cheesecloth, muslin, strainers, etc.

For just straining some yogurt, you just need to have a separate grainbag type thing I'm sure. I'd be concerned that if it's grocery store cheesecloth, the holes would be too far apart anyway. I use cheesemaking cloth- it's reusable (washable) and not full of those holes that "cheesecloth" has. It's a tighter weave.

The grocery "cheesecloth" works OK as long as you line the colander with a couple layers. The real problem is that it's so flimsy, I just toss it after use. I'm looking at the real cheesecloth on AHB and that looks like what I need (it's cheaper than the flimsy stuff too - go figure). They list two kinds: "cheesecloth" and "fine cheesecloth (butter muslin)". Which do I need? Also, how do I wash it? I use the "free and clear" type laundry detergent; can I just throw it in the washing machine?

BTW - reading some of threads on this forum has me looking for a source of raw milk. I think I may try my hand at this - sounds like fun.

The grocery "cheesecloth" works OK as long as you line the colander with a couple layers. The real problem is that it's so flimsy, I just toss it after use. I'm looking at the real cheesecloth on AHB and that looks like what I need (it's cheaper than the flimsy stuff too - go figure). They list two kinds: "cheesecloth" and "fine cheesecloth (butter muslin)". Which do I need? Also, how do I wash it? I use the "free and clear" type laundry detergent; can I just throw it in the washing machine?

BTW - reading some of threads on this forum has me looking for a source of raw milk. I think I may try my hand at this - sounds like fun.

The butter muslin is "thicker" and I found that it works great for some things, not so much for others. It holds more whey in. The plain cheesecloth works great for draining yogurt cheeses and chevre.

I just toss mine in the washing machine after rinising it in the sink.

Back