Windsor yeast cleanup temperature?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ike

nOob for life
Reaction score
So, the combination of my reading up on Windsor yeast here on HBT and the fact that my ferm chamber is currently cooling-only has resulted in my batch of this oatmeal milk stout (my first-ever tango with Windsor)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=182975

being fermented around 55-58 degrees. NOW, as fermentation has tapered off, I'm interested in finding out IF and HOW cleanup should happen.

In all my other beers, once rigorous primary fermentation was complete, I just let the batch warm up to about 80 degrees or so for a few days before bottling. OK to do the same with Windsor? Or is this stuff so cranky about higher ferm temps that I should let it clean up at a lower temperature?

:mug:

Ike

If fermentation is done then you can let it rise without worry. 80 seems pretty high though. I usually go for upper 60s, low 70s.

Windsor doesn't clear very well. I cold crashed, used gelatin and it still took 3 weeks chilled in a keg to clear out decently.

It wouldn't surprise me if it stalled at those temps, and still has some more to ferment.

Yes, pull it out of the cooler and let it sit at room temp for a while. Once you know it has finished, you can take it to 80 if you want, it will not hurt the beer or the yeast.

Back