steep grains ... malt extract ... combining

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey,

Im working on a Russian Imperial Stout. The grains are being steeped in one pot and I am waiting for the kettle's water to boil to mix in the malt extract.

Recipe says: boil 2 gallons, mix in extract, increase water level up to 3 gal but nothing about the water from the steeped grain. do i add that steeped water before or after adding the first set of hops?

Thanks

You can add it anytime the steep is done. What I've done is to do the steep and then sparge (rinse) the grains with 170 degree water by putting the grain bag in a colander and pouring the water over until I have the three gallons and then bring all that up to a boil. Take it off the heat and add the malt extract. Then put it back on the heat and bring back to a boil and then start your hops additions.

Alternatively, you can bring that pot of water for your extract up to a boil along with the water you steeped in, and then add your malt extract. Remember to take your pot off the burner when you add the extract- it will go straight to the bottom and burn if you don't! (Ask me how I know this! ;) ) Stir well, and then bring it up to a boil and then start your hops additions.

Hope that helps!

Before. In fact, when I do extract brews, I have only one pot. I steep the grains and then turn up the temp to get to a boil. Once the boil starts I add the 60 minute hops.

Back