Late extract addition help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PassionBeer

Reaction score
Hello -

I am going to do a Belgian White and I'd like some guidance on doing the late extract addition to help lighten the color. Here's some info:

3 gallon boil
7# Wheat Extract (liquid)
.5 oz cascade for 30 minutes
.5 oz corriander, .5 oz bitter orange peel, .25 oz sweet orange peel for last 15 minutes
.5 oz cascade for last 5 minutes

How much of the liquid extract should I put at the beginning of the boil, and how much at the end? Also, any adjustments to the hop schedule I need to make?

Thanks for any input, pros!

You can split it up however you like, with the obvious consequence that the more you add a the beginning, the less of a late addition effect you'll get. I'd put at least a pound in at the beginning, but otherwise, it is up to you.

The hop schedule adjustment question is tough to predict ahead of time. Many people report higher hop utilization in late additions, but I don't believe the mechanism is terribly well understood. You could try cutting your hops by about 10%, but ultimately it will come down to experimentation.

You can split it up however you like, with the obvious consequence that the more you add a the beginning, the less of a late addition effect you'll get. I'd put at least a pound in at the beginning, but otherwise, it is up to you.

The hop schedule adjustment question is tough to predict ahead of time. Many people report higher hop utilization in late additions, but I don't believe the mechanism is terribly well understood. You could try cutting your hops by about 10%, but ultimately it will come down to experimentation.

Thanks for the response. These were along the lines I was thinking.

Cheers!

Back