What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doing a practice scoresheet. BJCP exam studying and such. Unfortunately they don't have a sample for this one, but they do one for Beamish, which I haven't seen in a long time but I recall it being very similar (and both a little different than Guinness).

20140817_211432[1].jpg

Busy and productive brew day. Racked 2 gallons of plum wine to secondary, racked my golden sour into secondary and onto oak, and brewed up a dark sour that I pitched onto the golden yeast cake. Gonna have a whole lot of fermented goodness in a year!

Drinking an Anchor IPA
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408334301.630769.jpg

Coffee, short day. Tailgate in 7 hours.

Dreading the bill coming down the pike - got woken up last night by the swmbo as the bloody aircon leaked all over the floor. Eff.

Coffee while going over my score sheets from the Michigan Beer Cup.

I'm thrilled with what I'm reading...but I didn't win anything. I entered a similar beer last year and got 26-27. This year, I made minor tweaks (my own recipe) and paid attention to the water. I got a 35.5 with the more experienced of the two judges giving it a 36. The one ding both judges gave was that it had too sweet of a finish for the style, but I added vanilla beans to make it a vanilla blonde, so I really intended for that to happen (maybe not the best recipe for a competition because of the "non-beer" ingredient).

The "Overall Impressions":

"Delicious, needs to be less sweet in finish."

"Good and drinkable with good balance. Body a bit full, may be able to adjust with mash temp or more attnuative yeast."

I'll take that. Big improvement over a span of a year.

Now I'm all geeked up about brewing again. I want to make something a bit more ambitious...maybe a DIPA.

I know that feeling. I scored well in a big competition and couldn't think about anything but brewing for months after that. Coincidentally (or not) it was also after testing and treating my water. Congrats on your score

Drinking water, back at work. First day after vacation SUCKS.

Now I'm all geeked up about brewing again. I want to make something a bit more ambitious...maybe a DIPA.

Congrats on your score. You once mentioned your brewing to me and I have always assumed you are much harder on yourself than anyone else would be (non judge people). :) I bet you brew pretty good beer.

Drinking iced coffee.

On the other hand I was a little angry about my sheets from the Dominion Cup. My Mild scored a 30 and didn't place. The same judges scored another Mild at 32, which went on to win mini-BOS and then 3rd in BOS overall. Makes me think mine was very unfairly scored. My other scores were also lower than I think they should but I'm particularly bitter about the Mild.

Drinking water.

On the other hand I was a little angry about my sheets from the Dominion Cup. My Mild scored a 30 and didn't place. The same judges scored another Mild at 32, which went on to win mini-BOS and then 3rd in BOS overall. Makes me think mine was very unfairly scored. My other scores were also lower than I think they should but I'm particularly bitter about the Mild.

Drinking water.

I had a few score that pissed me off too. Tonight i'm going to register a bunch of my beers for a local comp later this year. I finally have a bunch I can enter. I usually do not have any ready but they better watch out. I'm entering a **** ton :D

On the coffee today.

I had someone mention to me that a beer competition for our state fair was in the process of accepting entries recently...but it was $15 per entry! I've won a few ribbons for canning, but the registration is free! I think I have make some very decent home brew beers, but I don't think any of them are ready for competition. I don't have a way to nail and exact mash in temp and hold it for an hour and I don't have a temperature controlled fermentation arrangement. My carb levels have varied quite a bit, too. Maybe in a couple of years I'll accrue more equipment that will get me in the game.

Smacking trout. Been drinking like a fish. Good thing I have a hit load of beer on-hand.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408398944.702692.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408398977.391554.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408399035.090857.jpg
Home brew
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408399083.245354.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408399111.889619.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408399145.494624.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408399175.843008.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408399203.541446.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408399279.832723.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408399310.555580.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408399342.082254.jpg

Qhrumphf, Bane, You know its beer week in DC right. And for Qhrumphf, looks like there is even this on Thursday

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/youngandhungry/2014/08/18/top-picks-for-d-c-beer-week/
The Siren Extravaganza at ChurchKey, 6 p.m.

Try 15 beers from England's Siren Craft at ChurchKey in draft and bottle. The list includes an impressive variety of flagship and special release brews including several Siren collaborations with breweries like Evil Twin and Cigar City. There is no admission fee, and beers are pay-as-you-go.

This was pointed out to me by a girl I recently met and threw it out there as an option for a date. If this one is successful, I am going to have to arrange a few more, or find some others to take out this week. Tell me I convinced ya to show up.

Back