Any Cigar, or Pipe Smokers out there?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlaneyBrewer

Reaction score
I work in a tobacco shop, and frequently enjoy a nice cigar, or smoke my pipe, and was curious to see if there were any others out there. And also what do you enjoy smoking while enjoying a beer?

one of my favorite combos is an Arturo Fuente 858 Maduro, with a Guinness, or a Negra Modelo...

Here!

858s are a great smoke... I've had all 5 versions of it and like each one for its own dynamics... Claro, Natural, Maduro, Sungrown, and Rosado. Probably my favorite Fuente is the Opus X Petite Lancero. But my standard Fuente is the Chateau Sungrown.

There are several other threads on here about cigars/pipes.

I love a nice Nicaraguan puro with a killer fresh IPA, or a Oscuro wrapper 601 or a Liga Privada with some thick stout or porter!

Although I enjoy cigars, I avoid smoking while drinking beer or wine as I find that it masks the flavor of the beverage.

I enjoy both. I have a large humidor that used to be quite full before I started spending all me extra money on brewing. I love anything Don Pepin has blended, they're great! CAO Italias are my go to smoke, a little less expensive than Don Pepins. My favorite combo is an Italia with and Oktoberfest. They both have a nice peppery flavor.

How about pipe tobacco? Frog Morton or Nightcap for me. Which pipe tobaccos do yall smoke?

Right here. And all you name droppers ought a be ashamed. I got a humidor full of Thompsons finest house cigars, and save 10-20 90+ sticks for Xtra special occasions. I like pipe too. And I keep it simple, just a little bit a BRiff from the drug store.

My favorite has to be Padron Series 1926 Maduro with a sweeter Imperial Stout. The combination really brings out the cocoa notes and enhances the flavor of both the cigar and the beer. Another great combination is a Koningshoeven/LaTrappe Quad with a maduro or sun grown wrapped cigar. The dried fruit notes and earthiness is great.

38863d1256180131-my-humidor-img_1120.jpg

My 4 cubans

38865d1256180320-my-humidor-img_1122.jpg

38866d1256180403-my-humidor-img_1123.jpg

38868d1256180554-my-humidor-img_1125.jpg

If you can't tell its a huge passion of mine!

Which Cohiba EL is that? The one with the second band slid down towards the foot?

That one is a special edition (either 2004 or 2006) siglo VI, the one next to it is a maduro that when I got it (3 years ago) it wasn't supposed to be available to the international market for 1-2 more years.

When I was stationed in Honduras the local shop carried tons of Cubans. Not saying I purchased any but I did smoke the hell out of them.

When I was stationed in Honduras the local shop carried tons of Cubans. Not saying I purchased any but I did smoke the hell out of them.

Be weary, cubans have a HUGE fake market any some massive percentage of Cubans in central american countries are fakes. Cubans have such a good market to sell their limited product in that they don't need to sell them to sketchy dealers in tourist areas of third world countrys

That one is a special edition (either 2004 or 2006) siglo VI, the one next to it is a maduro that when I got it (3 years ago) it wasn't supposed to be available to the international market for 1-2 more years.

There are no 'special edition' Siglo VI's from 2004 or 2006. In 2004 the Cohiba Limited Edition (Edicion Limitada) was a Sublime (should be 54 RG X 6.4 inches) and in 2006 it was a Piramide.
http://www.cigars-review.org/cigars/Cohiba.htm Hope this helps.

Beer and brewing is my new, second passion.
Cigars, and many of them, is my first.
I am a small fish in a very large sea in the cigar world. I have 50-100 various boxes. Many of my friends have wayyyyy more than that.

There are no 'special edition' Siglo VI's from 2004 or 2006. In 2004 the Cohiba Limited Edition (Edicion Limitada) was a Sublime (should be 54 RG X 6.4 inches) and in 2006 it was a Piramide.
http://www.cigars-review.org/cigars/Cohiba.htm Hope this helps.

You are probably right, i knewI wasn't positive when I posted. I'll take out the humidor, check it out and maybe post more pics. I havnt bought a cigar in about 6 months ad havnt smoked one in about 4. Damn finances killing my hobbies!

My pipe:
218R0uJ7nJL.jpg

My tobacco:
images

load up the bowl with some al fahker double apple and I will smoke a hookah for hours. Hookah rocks, I probably enjoy it more than a cigar because the stench of hookah smoke on the breath and clothes and skin is virtually non-existent compared to cigars

Alright, you caught me. I have a humidor full of Backwoods, Black and Milds, and Swisher Sweets.
Whats funny about this ^^^ is that I bought a box of swisher sweets (actually cost $30). I did so because when somebody sees my humidor they say "hey can I have one?" I say "other than about top 10 cigars; ARTURO FUENTE , punch, cohiba, MACANUDo, ROCKY PATEL etc, can you name 3 cigars not at Rite Aid." If they cant I givem this \/\/\/
R85495_0

P.S.
If you want a great deal on a glass top desk humidor ($26.99) go here. cheaphumidors.comIts the same one that sits on my work bench.
HUM-25-GLASS-IMP1.gif

I love to smoke one while brewing.

For pipe tobacco, I have been smoking a mixture lately thats 1/3 St. Burley, 1/3 Black Cavendish, and 1/3 a blend called 1Q by Lane (we call it Spartacus at the shop I work at). Its a very mellow smoke, doesn't burn hot, and has a slight almost vanilla overtone to it without being too sweet flavored...
Although pre-packaged tobacco can be good, like Peterson's Irish Oak is a nice blend, however I think because i've had the opportunity to create my own blends and mix it by hand it's made me a bit spoiled on what i like... lol
As for other cigars that i prefer just in general, Joyo de Monterrey Excalibur 1066 Dark Knights, Punch Elite Maduros, Bacaratt naturals, Onyx Reserve, AF Chateau Fuente's Natural or Maduro, Partagas '64 Anniversary series or the Decadas, or Don Diego Babies when i feel like a short smoke...

1Q is awesome. I had a friend who sent me some from a trip to Hawaii. It is one of my favorites!

My pipe:
218R0uJ7nJL.jpg

My tobacco:
images

Nice little hookah. When I am in the Middle East (mainly Dubai) I REALLY like to enjoy a shisha after a big meal and with a few drinks. There is a place on the beach in Jumeirah I like to go that is perfect.

la flor dominicana chisel is a fav, gotta have double ligero!

I have one of these coming in today :D ! I can't wait to try it before work. It is nice seeing a lot of Fuente fans though. Definitely make all of my favorite sticks. Had a WOAM last night for the first time. It was a great smoke but you almost can't beat their cameroon wrappers! It would be cool to trade some sticks if anyone is interested. I am on BA as paulv as well.

Up until the purchase of our new house last fall, I was spending more time and money on my cigar hobby than my brewing hobby. Believe it or not, brewing has been the cheaper hobby! I haven't even looked at the foreign websites for my mail-order cubans in months!

I still break out a good cigar when entertaining friends. Although I'm down to about 15 (from a box of 50) for the 06 party shorts that are so delicious... The 08 Sig I's are just coming around now though...

All of the domestics I have are yard gars. I'm lucky to get through half of one before pitching it into the firepit...

I'm more in to the Pineapple White Owls ;)
If you enjoy flavored ones, you should try my stores brand name flavored cigars... the John T's "Sweet T's"... We have a Rum & Cola, Strawberry Daquiri, Cherry Cream, Peach Whiskey, Chocolate Mint Martini, Cappucino, ect... All rolled pipe tobacco with a honey & rum tip... That is if you prefer something more flavored or aromatic...

If you enjoy flavored ones, you should try my stores brand name flavored cigars... the John T's "Sweet T's"... We have a Rum & Cola, Strawberry Daquiri, Cherry Cream, Peach Whiskey, Chocolate Mint Martini, Cappucino, ect... All rolled pipe tobacco with a honey & rum tip... That is if you prefer something more flavored or aromatic...

That was sarcassm. Lately my tastes have been focused on Rocky Patel's Old Work Reserve and Gurkha's Black Dragon.

Be weary, cubans have a HUGE fake market any some massive percentage of Cubans in central american countries are fakes. Cubans have such a good market to sell their limited product in that they don't need to sell them to sketchy dealers in tourist areas of third world countrys

That's one of the reasons I limit myself to Cohibas when travelling. They issue "licenses" to their dealers, who display them to show that they are selling authentic Cohibas.
The last time I was in Jamaica, my ex and I went to a duty-free market, and i found a cigar shop sell "Cohiba Habanas", and when I asked to see his license, I got a song-and-dance. I left, went to another dealer a few doors down, and saw HIS license proudly displayed...and bought a half dozen.

You are probably right, i knewI wasn't positive when I posted. I'll take out the humidor, check it out and maybe post more pics. I havnt bought a cigar in about 6 months ad havnt smoked one in about 4. Damn finances killing my hobbies!

Ever find out what these are?

CRA08web.jpg

Cigars and Beer <<<<<<< Click here, listen, drink, smoke, & enjoy

This week on the Session (they) talk about pairing cigars and beer with cigar professionals Brian Berman of Cigar Rights of America and Pete Johnson from Tatuaje. (We'll) learn about the parallels of craft beer and fine cigars and how the two can be paired perfectly for tastings.

This is awesome, a must hear.

Back