Brewtarget 1.2.2 - Free Open Source Brewing Software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im having a hard time with the mash configurations. I always used to use the mash wiz and entered my thickness and it was done. Now when I do that, it says i need to add a step first..I do that, enter my temp and time for the single infusion and then hit the wiz again and it says the mash is to thick for the first step? Never had this problem before..I set the thickness to 1.25.

Im having a hard time with the mash configurations. I always used to use the mash wiz and entered my thickness and it was done. Now when I do that, it says i need to add a step first..I do that, enter my temp and time for the single infusion and then hit the wiz again and it says the mash is to thick for the first step? Never had this problem before..I set the thickness to 1.25.

This warning means that for some reason, it's not possible to get your mash up to the requested temp at the requested thickness. Make sure your equipment is set up right (especially the specific heat and weight), and that your infusion temperature is reasonable. If these are ok, then PM me and I'll try to figure out if there's something wrong.

update: ive been fiddling with it and yeah i see what people mean about high CPU usage though its not a huge deal, but also is there an instruction manual for the mash setup? ive always kind of had to leave that part out when i used previous versions, and im sure it works, but i cant figure out how to do a decoction in it

Decoction? If you're using the mash wiz tool, just add add a step to the list in the mash tab, change the type to Decoction, and put in whatever temp you want. Then click the mash wiz button as usual. After it runs, you can view the amount you're supposed to decoct by clicking the decoction step and then the edit button (pencil and paper) or "brew day mode".

I think there may be a bug in your Mash Designer in the calculation of the used tun space. It's telling me that with just over 20lb of grain in a 10gal tun, I can't get 5gal of water in there. Bobby_M's chart here suggests that my MLT can hold up to 24lb of grain at a 1.25 qt/lb thickness. Your software won't let me get anywhere close to that!

Hm. The only reason I can see is that maybe the figure I'm using for grain density is off, but I think I'm using standard numbers. Anyway, I'll do an experiment as soon as I can, and see who's right and verify the figure for grain density.

Hey Rocketman,

I've been playing around with BT for a day and cant seem to find a way to change from AG to extract...can BT do this, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Hey Naked Eskimo (nice user name!) As far as I can see, under fermentables you just select dry malt extract, there are a few types.

Thanks Graeme, but what I'm looking for is a way to convert an all-grain recipe to extract.

Ah I see, I'd be pretty surprised if it was capable of doing that. From what I gather replacing the base malt (pale or 2-row for example) with your DME usually does the trick. I have a BYO classic clones mag and for the extract option this is usually the case, while keeping the specialty grains more or less the same.

I know you can do it in BeerSmith, so was wondering if BT was capable as well.

I know you can replace base malts with extracts, but I'm never sure how much LME or DME to use that would be equivalent to the amount of base malts used.

EDIT: actually stumbled across this formula on another website:

Converting Grain to Liquid Extract: Grain x 0.75= Liquid
e.g
10 Lb. (2 row malt) x .75 = 7.5 Lb. Liquid Malt Extract

Does this formula look correct?

That sounds right for the formula, but I'm just going off of memory. I'm too lazy to search HBT, but I know it's on here and in Palmer.

Graeme, use eskimos formula for the portion of 2row in your recipe to convert to LME, theninsert all the steeping grains per your recipe in BT. If your predicted OG is the same (or within a couple of points) as the recipe, you'll know you are correct.

May just be my copy, but my style editor window is missing the lables on the new, save, and cancel buttons.

On the whole a nice piece of software. Thanks.

Just wanted to bump this back up again. I love this software, and I'm a big proponent of Open Source Software.

Thanks again (Philip, Rob, and anyone else involved)!

May just be my copy, but my style editor window is missing the lables on the new, save, and cancel buttons.

On the whole a nice piece of software. Thanks.

Same here. There's lots of button icons missing and the beer glass isn't a beer glass any more.

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04. Looks like I might be missing something?

Screenshot-Brewtarget_-_1_2_2.png

I just downloaded this and started using it the other day and it works fine. It might be that you are missing libraries on your OS.

I opened up brewtarget this afternoon and all the recipes, ingrediants, styles, etc.
were no longer there. I only had one or two recipes loaded so I figured I'd just download it and reinstall. Which I did but it didn't work. I am curently dl'ing the
qt 4.6.3 to see if that's the problem. I got a Mac using OS 10.4.11. Hope I can get this working again.

We switched to svg images in this release. I think this means you should have qt 4.6 or greater installed.

4.6.2 is installed. I see the newest version is 4.6.3. Unfortunately, I don't see any packages for that version in Ubuntu. Suppose I can break out MAKE.

I opened up brewtarget this afternoon and all the recipes, ingrediants, styles, etc.
were no longer there. I only had one or two recipes loaded so I figured I'd just download it and reinstall. Which I did but it didn't work. I am curently dl'ing the
qt 4.6.3 to see if that's the problem. I got a Mac using OS 10.4.11. Hope I can get this working again.

I still can't get this to work. I even tried dl'ing the older versions and get the same thing.

So you mean there are no recipes or ingredients? First, you have downloaded Qt 4.6 right?

I dl'd and installed qt 4.6.3 thinking this might be the problem.
When I open up brewtarget there are no ingredients, no recipes, and no equipment listed. I have used it before so this is very odd. I even dl'd an older version to see if it would work but I got the same results.

Quick question-

Is there a way to adjust how the program handles starting temperature of the grain before adding strike water? I usually let my grain sit out at room temp before hand, but room temp for me is 76 in the summer and 68 in the winter. This is a big difference and I'm wondering how to deal with it in the program. Sorry if I missed something.

Thanks for a nice program!

Quick question-

Is there a way to adjust how the program handles starting temperature of the grain before adding strike water? I usually let my grain sit out at room temp before hand, but room temp for me is 76 in the summer and 68 in the winter. This is a big difference and I'm wondering how to deal with it in the program. Sorry if I missed something.

Thanks for a nice program!

Yep. Everyone seems to miss this button, so maybe I need to make it more conspicuous, but the "edit mash" button on the mash tab lets you edit the initial grain temp and other things. Just do this before you run the mash wiz or designer.

I dl'd and installed qt 4.6.3 thinking this might be the problem.
When I open up brewtarget there are no ingredients, no recipes, and no equipment listed. I have used it before so this is very odd. I even dl'd an older version to see if it would work but I got the same results.

I still can't get to it work.
Anyone have an idea what's going on?:confused:

When I unzip the file all the xml files are listed.
I extract all of them.
After it is expanded I have a folder that contains
Brewtarget, the application (this will open)
and another folder titled: __MACOSX
inside that folder is an appleworks icon
when I get info on the icon it says it is an application
with the name Brewtarget.app
if I try and open this I get the message
"you cannot open the application Brewtarget
because it is damaged or incomplete"

Thanks for the help

When I unzip the file all the xml files are listed.
I extract all of them.
After it is expanded I have a folder that contains
Brewtarget, the application (this will open)
and another folder titled: __MACOSX
inside that folder is an appleworks icon
when I get info on the icon it says it is an application
with the name Brewtarget.app
if I try and open this I get the message
"you cannot open the application Brewtarget
because it is damaged or incomplete"

Thanks for the help

That __MACOSX folder is a really annoying artifact of using the mac's zip utility. Just ignore/delete it. So you should extract Brewtarget.app out of the zip file. Inside Brewtarget.app, there is a folder named Resources that contains the xml files in question. You don't need to move these or do anything to them, I just want you to make sure they exist and aren't empty. You don't need to navigate inside Brewtarget.app to do anything, actually...just double click on Brewtarget.app and it should start. So,
1) XML files exist and aren't empty?
2) Files inside Brewtarget.app haven't been moved around?
3) You are starting by clicking on Brewtarget.app?

rocketman768:

When you use the FWH option, do you include the time it takes from first runnings to boil in your addition time? e.g. Let's say it takes 45 mins from first runnings until the wort is boiling. I then boil for 60 mins. Does this make the FWH option = 105 mins? Or is it 45 mins FWH + 60 min hop addition?

Once again, many thanks for a nice product.

rocketman768:

When you use the FWH option, do you include the time it takes from first runnings to boil in your addition time? e.g. Let's say it takes 45 mins from first runnings until the wort is boiling. I then boil for 60 mins. Does this make the FWH option = 105 mins? Or is it 45 mins FWH + 60 min hop addition?

Once again, many thanks for a nice product.

I would say that you should list it as 105 min. You should note that there is a lot of speculation and different ways to estimate the number of IBUs from a FWH addition. For this program, it assumes that you get 10% more IBUs than a 20 minute addition, so it doesn't really matter how many minutes you put for a FWH addition I think.

This is a pic of the files listed when I go to unzip them.
I have been extracting all the files.
Looking at it now I see some of the files are 0 mb
zip%20pic.jpg

This is a pic of the files listed when I go to unzip them.
I have been extracting all the files.
Looking at it now I see some of the files are 0 mb

That's fine. Although, I'm not sure why your zip program lists every single file within the archive. Just drag Brewtarget.app to your desktop, it should turn to an icon, and just double click to run.

What I've been doing is hitting
extract
all files
new folder
I get a folder on the desktop called brewtarget-1.2.2_mac Folder
inside that folder I get the brewtarget icon and that mac os folder
I still don't get any ingredients or any of the other stuff

The windows version works fine for me, but I am running Ubuntu AMD64 at home. I have the program installed, but there is no data. Can I just import some xml to populate the ingredients, equipment, etc.?

Edit: I fished around and found them. Imported the recipe.xml and I'm good there. Now when I add some grain and click ok, the program closes.

Edit again: Think I got it. I saved the database and am now creating my equipment. Looks good!

Final edit: Things were just not working out, so I am running the windows version through WINE. Best part is I should be able to import/export to and from Ubuntu from my machines infected with the Bill Gates virus!

Final edit: Things were just not working out, so I am running the windows version through WINE. Best part is I should be able to import/export to and from Ubuntu from my machines infected with the Bill Gates virus!

No no no...you shouldn't have to resort to this. I develop the thing in Linux. It sounds to me like you might have some permission problems. In Linux, the original data is stored in /usr/share/brewtarget. When the program runs, if ~/.config/brewtarget/*.xml don't exist, they are copied from aforementioned folder. After this, it reads the latter set of files and reads/writes to them as you create recipes and stuff. Check and make sure ~/.config/brewtarget exists and has appropriate permissions. If it does not exist, make sure ~/.config exists and has the right permissions and start the program again.

No no no...you shouldn't have to resort to this. I develop the thing in Linux. It sounds to me like you might have some permission problems. In Linux, the original data is stored in /usr/share/brewtarget. When the program runs, if ~/.config/brewtarget/*.xml don't exist, they are copied from aforementioned folder. After this, it reads the latter set of files and reads/writes to them as you create recipes and stuff. Check and make sure ~/.config/brewtarget exists and has appropriate permissions. If it does not exist, make sure ~/.config exists and has the right permissions and start the program again.

That was it. I just had to chmod that folder to 755 and now it is working right. Only thing is, there are only about 9 recipes there. Are there a bunch of existing recipes I could use?

Latest posts

Back